Feeding Of Fish

Bigd5482

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
147
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Ok so I'm curious as to a feeding regime. Currently I'm feeding twice a day both times being flake food then ever other day one of the feedings is frozen bloodworms. I have guppies, corys a rubbernose pleco, rasboras and a pair of kribs.

Question how often should I feed bloodworms or other frozen or live food to the fish? Can you raise your own bloodworms? Thinking of raising blackworms to feed my fish as I heard you just put some in a bowl with a piece of brown paper in the bottom and water and they will multiply keeping them in the fridge and feeding a little shrimp pellet every now and then. Are blackworms a decent live food to feed the fish I have?

Just am curious as I've read a few places and got different things about live and frozen foods. Some say to feed daily other say to feed as treats as in some fish like bettas the bloodworms can cause issues or constipation.

Also I have a fry tank for the guppies and hopefully the kribs if they breed and I have liquid fry food currently or I finely crush up some flake food is there something better I should be feeding my fry and how often should I be feeding?

Thanks everyone in advance.
 
I dont think there is a straightforward answer to this.

As long as you feed a variety of foods and ensure that no-one's diet is missed then you are doing it just right.

I personally feed frozen (defrosted) bloodworm and brine shrimp to my fish 3 times a week when they are getting into breeding condition. (lots of fish in my tank so they only get a bit each). This is not on its own tho. I also feed sinking pellets and a few flakes to ensure that the fish dont all just get a belly of protien, they get some veggies too. the rest of the days they simply get flake and sinking pellets or flake and cichlid pellets.

Ensure you also feed fresh veggies every now and then too. Cucumber is a favourite and deshelled cooked peas are good too. only one squished between the fingers will do.

As for the fry - feed them whatever they will eat. baby brine shrimp (literally just hatched brine shrimp) is fantastic for them as they are full of nutrition and really make the fry grow fast. Once they have grown a little then crushed flake can be used. They will eventually accept the crushed flake. If the fry are too small for baby brine shrimp then you may need a microworm culture or infusoria culture.

As for growing your own - Id stick to frozen. Home grown batches of worms and the like can get nasties in them that would harm your fish. The process of freezing foods kills off a lot of nasties and so reduced any associated risk. Home grown baby brine shrimp on the other hand are definately the way forward for fish fry food. (until I can fish them frozen!)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top