Feeding Issue?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Vethian

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My son just got a electric blue jack dempsey.  When feeding it, things seem odd.  he tends to go to gobble some food and he misses.  a lot.  i've never scene a fish miss catching food like this.  this normal?

I've seen it quite a lot with other juvenile cichlids, Angels, Sajica, Acara they take a little time to adapt to new food types. I tend to use granules and at first they would bite them and spit them out, they quickly learnt to not do this...  

simplyfish said:
I've seen it quite a lot with other juvenile cichlids, Angels, Sajica, Acara they take a little time to adapt to new food types. I tend to use granules and at first they would bite them and spit them out, they quickly learnt to not do this...  

I am hoping he will grow out of it.  Just seems odd.

My Bolivian does the same.practically have to hand feed her bloodworms or cichlid pellets.

simplyfish said:

This happends with most newley bought fish. All fish do need to learn to eat other types of food. This might take a while and sometimes they won't learn to eat it at all.  However, that generally only happens to very picky eaters.

So with some patience he will start to like it and eat it normally.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back