Feeding Gold Mystery Snails Help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FloridaChick

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
First, I really don't know what I am doing. I let a clutch hatch about 4 months ago and its not going well. I use a sponge filter and coral substrate. Been feeding them algae wafers, string beans and occasionally broccoli with floating cuttlebone. Their shells don't look too good. I am reading they need lots of protein (shrimp, bloodworms, etc) Also, only feed them what they can eat for a few minutes, seriously, they don't all eat at once and the wafers disintegrate.
And the tank stinks even with 50% daily water changes. What can I put in a dish that includes their daily requirements and can be removed and not drift into the tank? Is Snello a good, high protein option?

No idea who told you Mystery snails need high protein. Most snails are omnivores with a preference for plant matter/ algae.

Put some food in and wait an hour, then remove it.

If the tank smells bad, there is rotting food in it and you need to gravel clean the substrate and do a big water change every day until it is clean.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

What is wrong with their shells?
Post a picture of them

You should add cuttlebone, if you can. It is good for snail shell growth. On my breeding tank for mysery snails, I actually have a hob. Sponge filters aren't as good at getting all the poo out. I rinse the sponge inside the filter every other day, when I do a water change on the tank.

You should add cuttlebone, if you can. It is good for snail shell growth. On my breeding tank for mysery snails, I actually have a hob. Sponge filters aren't as good at getting all the poo out. I rinse the sponge inside the filter every other day, when I do a water change on the tank.
Definitely not liking the sponge filters. I have a hob on my betta tank so yea, thats a good idea. So much nasty bioload for such small critters. ??? "Living and Learning"?

Definitely not liking the sponge filters. I have a hob on my betta tank so yea, thats a good idea. So much nasty bioload for such small critters. ??? "Living and Learning"?
I am even switching to a higher flow filter to bring up all the gunk a bit more.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back