Feeding Fish Flakes With Nails

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Rollxr

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I had a question, i fed my fish flakes with my fingers and my finger nails had made contact with the flakes. Prior to feeding my fish, i did wash my hands via soap and water but i did not scrub deep in my finger nails, i did immersed my nails in soap though just no deeply. And i fed my fish flakes with my finger with my nails, so when i fed them flakes, will it harm them?! The way I did it?!

I'm imagining very long false nails, and thinking that it would be very hard to feed fish if you have had those installed. I worked for a while in an industry where I was the only guy on my shift with a complete set of fingers, so I've never gotten decorative about my hands. I assume once the glues dry they aren't toxic, but when I walk by a nail place I always feel sorry for the workers applying those things all day - the chemicals are strong smelling. So if false nails are the story, I can see your concern.

This one made me scratch my head with my stubby nails. Maybe using a flat butter knife or a small spoon would work?

I have long (natural) nails (that I keep polished), and I don't even think about it when I feed my fish. Fritz (my betta) thinks my index nail is just a big spoon for him to eat out of, and he does so with gusto! He's a bit...ah...excitable at mealtimes.

Unless you're putting them in the tank right after you've had them done (before they're fully cured, so to speak), or unless you've had them in something that would be toxic (cleaning chemicals or whatnot), I can't see that it would be an issue. I would make sure if you're washing them with soap beforehand that you get all the soap out from under your nails before putting them in the water.

I don't wash my hands before I feed the fish - it honestly never occurred to me I'd need to. I do wash them after I've feed frozen foods, because I don't particularly care to find leftover bits of brine shrimp, bloodworms or daphnia in my own snacks. ;-)

I'm imagining very long false nails, and thinking that it would be very hard to feed fish if you have had those installed. I worked for a while in an industry where I was the only guy on my shift with a complete set of fingers, so I've never gotten decorative about my hands. I assume once the glues dry they aren't toxic, but when I walk by a nail place I always feel sorry for the workers applying those things all day - the chemicals are strong smelling. So if false nails are the story, I can see your concern.

This one made me scratch my head with my stubby nails. Maybe using a flat butter knife or a small spoon would work?
I don’t have artifical long nails, its natural a little long nails.

I love the smell of frozen brine shrimp on my fingers. So much so that I am like a junkie.

I want to adopt you as my strange but oddly wise granddad. Whenever I see you've commented, I know it's going to be something that will make me smile, and it always does!

The fish should be fine, especially since you did a surface wash and it wasn’t prolonged work in the tank.

If you are worried, do a water change early this week :)

I want to adopt you as my strange but oddly wise granddad. Whenever I see you've commented, I know it's going to be something that will make me smile, and it always does!
Strange and odd . Thank you. You aren’t the first person that’s said that or similar and I do embrace the strange and odd.
This is keeping little fish from distant lands in a little glass box to enjoy looking at. Let’s just enjoy that and not over complicate it. Go back to your first aquarium and re-embrace the wonder. And by the by - frozen bloodworms don’t have the pleasant aroma of frozen brine shrimp.
As to the OP’s concern : occasionally you will run across pictures of the natural environment where our finny friends live today and sometimes they are polluted quagmire’s and yet the fish live. They are better off with us .

Let's keep in mind that fish don't eat in sterilized conditions in nature. I make it a habit to wash my hands before and after putting them in my tank. But that's out of concern of me putting some kind of chemical (like hand lotion) in the water or contracting some kind of pathogen from the water. But for simple feeding that doesn't require any contact with the water, a hand washing is more than enough.

Lmao, sorry for the late reply, funny how you say that!

I'm sorry, I wasn't aiming that at you! If you re-read my post, you'll see I was quoting @Back in the fold how I want to adopt him as a grandpa, lol, not you :lol:
Im actually 15 by the way!!

In seeing this, seeing the mix up and laughing about it, when I typed my reply I realised I'm technically old enough that I could be your grandma's age! Now I feel ancient... lol

Many generations on these forums. Nice that people from all over the world, of different generations and all walks of life, to share this nerdy and wonderful hobby of ours. It's nice.

Most reactions

Back