Feeding Corys

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

corys will eat whatever your other fish don't. they clean the gravel nicely. but if you have crazy mixed up fish like my mollies, who will go to the bottom and eat scraps themselves, then you might want to consider supplimenting the cories diet with some sinking wafers or pellets (there are some on the market geared specifically towards cories) and drop them in at night when the cories are more active. i just put more flakes in than i normally would have before the cories and suppliment with wafer or two every other day. :)

hmm i was just wondering how do the corys feed on food in the gravel.. do they just eat what's on the surface of the gravel or is their mouths like a vacuum to get what's between the gravel as my gravel is around .6mm and the food often gets sunk into them so i was wondering if the cory could get at them

It's true that corys will clean up leftovers from the other fishes' dinners, but that is usually not enough for them. Unless you are grossly overfeeding your fish :eek: (not a good practice) it would be better to plan a diet just for them.

Corys are omnivores, which means that they eat both animal and plant matter, so their diet should include some of each. :nod:

They love worms; bloodworm, tubiflex, live or freeze dried, they love them all. :) To make sure dried tubiflex worms reach the bottom, I hold the cube in the water until it becomes soaked then rub my fingers together. This breaks it up and lets the worms seperate and fall free in the water. Some of these will be eaten by other fish, but some will also reach the corys on the bottom.

Spirulina tabs or algae wafers are good for supplying the plant matter they need, and any other pellets that reach the bottom will round out their diet. I give mine shrimp pellets and goldfish granules and they eat them happily. :D

Inchworm said:
It's true that corys will clean up leftovers from the other fishes' dinners, but that is usually not enough for them.

Corys are omnivores, which means that they eat both animal and plant matter, so their diet should include some of each. :nod:
Thanks for the info! My Corys do eat whatever leftovers are around. I also put algae wafers in there every night and they seem to *love* those. All my fish, with the exception of the Betta, seem to like 'em, actually. I do occasionally put bloodworms in the tank, but they float, so I don't know if the Corys ever get any. I feed a mixture of tropical flakes and tropical granules. Some of the granules sink, so I'm guessing the Corys get some of 'em. The Corys seem quite happy and healthy, so I think they're getting enough food :nod:

Pamela
aka Lizard

cassandra said:
they eat what ever left at the bottom but i like to see if there is somekind of treat thing i could give them
Hi cassandra, :)

For a special treat for your corys and other fish, try giving them live or frozen bloodworms or tubiflex worms. They love them and worms are an important part of their diet if you are planning to breed them. :D

________
Lizard, your corys do seem to have a good diet. No wonder they are happy and healthy. :nod:

crazy mixed up fish like my mollies

he he he! :lol:

yep, crazy mixed up fish, all mine are crazy and mixed up and spend a lot of time "grazing" on the bottom of the tank..!!

the corries are getting in the game and one of them likes to swim at the top of the tank and the bottom of the tank....mixed up indeed! ;)

Most reactions

Back