Feeding Carnivore Fish

shaziasadiqah

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, my Blackghost Knife Fish (BGKF) currently eating only frozen bloodworm twice a day, i clean up the tank after every feeding if there are any bloodworms being left uneaten.

i donā€™t give him anything else because i have tried brine shrimp and some pellets, too but he just wonā€™t eat those, he just want the frozen bloodworm.

The question is, is it okay to feed him only that? I read somewhere that feeding your fish one particular food long term will not give the fish enough nutrition they needed.

also, since he refuse anything but frozen bloodworm, will any vitamin help him to give the nutrition that the bloodworm donā€™t have?

any particular recommendation on vitamins? In my country there are two options that are easy to use,
1. A tablet that should be put in the tank and will dissolve on its own
2. A liquid vitamin that should be put in the tank

any advice will be much appreciated.
thank you :)

Yes the fish will eventually suffer from nutritional deficiencies if it doesn't eat more types of food.

You can offer it prawn/ shrimp, fish, squid, live or frozen brineshrimp, daphnia, small worms, etc.

If it doesn't eat those foods, remove the uneaten food and try again the next day. It will eventually eat other foods when it gets really hungry. You can feed it bloodworms a couple of times a week after it eats other foods.

Most black ghost knife fish won't eat dry or pellet food.

-------------------
Liquid vitamin supplements are useless as most of them break down very quickly when wet. Vitamins also break down with heat. Get a dry powder vitamin supplement and keep it cool and dry. Sprinkle a bit on some frozen fish food and mix it in, then feed that to the fish.

Yes the fish will eventually suffer from nutritional deficiencies if it doesn't eat more types of food.

You can offer it prawn/ shrimp, fish, squid, live or frozen brineshrimp, daphnia, small worms, etc.

If it doesn't eat those foods, remove the uneaten food and try again the next day. It will eventually eat other foods when it gets really hungry. You can feed it bloodworms a couple of times a week after it eats other foods.

Most black ghost knife fish won't eat dry or pellet food.

-------------------
Liquid vitamin supplements are useless as most of them break down very quickly when wet. Vitamins also break down with heat. Get a dry powder vitamin supplement and keep it cool and dry. Sprinkle a bit on some frozen fish food and mix it in, then feed that to the fish.
Thank you very much! Will try daphina and brineshrimp then.

so if he heat brineshrimp twice a week then daphina twice a week and bloodworm twice a week he should be fine?

so if he heat brineshrimp twice a week then daphina twice a week and bloodworm twice a week he should be fine?
Yes it's a better diet. If you can add some raw or cooked prawn and fish, that would make it even better.

I used Marine Mix, which had prawn, fish and squid in. I fed Marine Mix first and after the fish had eaten that, I gave them brineshrimp, daphnia, mysis shrimp or bloodworms.

Will any marine carnivore wafer have that? I donā€™t have marine mix in my country. If there is any it will be super expensive though.

i saw Hikari Marine Carnivore Wafer and will try to buy it to see the ingredient and try it to the BGKF. Is it okay for Freshwater fish to eat Marine food?

Black ghost wont eat wafers.

Go to a supermarket and look in the seafood section, or go to a fishing store and look in the bait freezer. Buy some frozen prawns and put them in your freezer. Take one out and defrost it, then remove the head, shell and gut (long thin black tube in body), and throw these bits away. Use a pair of scissors to cut the remaining prawn tail into little pieces. Offer 1 or 2 bits at a time and let the fish eat them. Then offer a couple more bits. Do this until the fish is full, then remove uneaten food.

Feeding prawn and the other frozen foods will give the fish a more balanced diet.

Black ghost wont eat wafers.

Go to a supermarket and look in the seafood section, or go to a fishing store and look in the bait freezer. Buy some frozen prawns and put them in your freezer. Take one out and defrost it, then remove the head, shell and gut (long thin black tube in body), and throw these bits away. Use a pair of scissors to cut the remaining prawn tail into little pieces. Offer 1 or 2 bits at a time and let the fish eat them. Then offer a couple more bits. Do this until the fish is full, then remove uneaten food.

Feeding prawn and the other frozen foods will give the fish a more balanced diet.
Thank you very much!

I have fed them on a little ox heart. Freeze it and then run the frozen piece over a cheese grater. It will be small flakey pieces of heart. Most cichlids will also eat that.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back