Feeding Bloodworms

targa66

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 4, 2007
Messages
112
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NW England
Silly question:

At the recommendation of my LFS, I bought some live bloodworms for my platies, swordtails and rosy and neon tetras.
The worms sank to the bottom and some were gobbled up by the tetras but I don't know if some burrowed in the gravel (it's pea gravel). I vacuumed the gravel but didn't find any - would the fish ferret them all out??
I had hoped I could give the worms to my platy fry but the worms are almost as big as the fry - about 1 cm - is it ok to feed them to the fry? is there any way bloodworms can hurt fry?

thanks!
 
I don't think they could hurt the fry, but if they are the same size, how would the babies eat them? I would just give the rest to the main tank and give it to the babies when they are large enough. :)

If there are some in the gravel, the fish will eventually get them, as long as it's not too deep. I've dug up some before in my old planted tank. :crazy:
 
bloodwomrs or blackworms?
Bloodworms are small (less than 10mm) and red.
Blackworms are long (about 2inches) and look like Tubifx worms.

Blackworms/Tubifex worms will live quite happily in the aquarium gravel. Catfish and loaches will grub throught he gravel trying to find them.

If the food is too big for the fry they can choke on them. Microworms or grindal worms are a better choice for small fish.
 
bloodwomrs or blackworms?
Bloodworms are small (less than 10mm) and red.
Blackworms are long (about 2inches) and look like Tubifx worms.

Blackworms/Tubifex worms will live quite happily in the aquarium gravel. Catfish and loaches will grub throught he gravel trying to find them.

If the food is too big for the fry they can choke on them. Microworms or grindal worms are a better choice for small fish.


They're bloodworms. I don't have any catfish or loaches so if they do live in the gravel, no one will find them! Guess I'll have to do a lot of vacuuming. I would just throw them all in my main tank but there's fry in there too (I've got platies/swordtails so there's fry everywhere...)
thx!
 
wow, you must have a good shop if it gets live bloodworms. I know you can buy them in Asia but they aren't commonly sold in most other countries. I wish our shops would sell more live foods.
 
wow, you must have a good shop if it gets live bloodworms. I know you can buy them in Asia but they aren't commonly sold in most other countries. I wish our shops would sell more live foods.

I'm in England - bought them at Maidenhead Aquatics (it's a big chain). It's pretty good for live foods - almost always has daphnia, bloodworms and baby brine shrimp.
 
wow, cool
the shops here are lucky to carry live brineshrimp (adults). If you want daphnia you go collect it yourself.
 
They stick their mouths out of the gravel and are easily seen by the fish so they wont escape. They cant breed in the tank anyway as they have to turn into midges before they breed. No need to worry about them.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top