Feeding Advice: Less Algae

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jonozee

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is somewhat of a newbie question, but i've been running my tank successfully for 2.5 years now, so it's more of an intermediate advice question.

I have a 37 gallon tank with:
1 x half black Angel Fish (about 3.5")
8 x Diamond Tetras (2" max)
1 x Salt and Pepper Corydora

I've had a bunch of different fish over the past 2.5 years, but these are the guys who have thrived and survived.  This lineup has been stable for about a year and a half.

I currently feed them some flakes (1 tiny spoonful =, twice per day)  that I get at Petland discounts, and have also been giving bloodworms and usually 1 tiny algae wafer per day for the Cory.

I'd like a recommendation for feeding this bunch that would result in less algae buildup on the glass and algae scum in general.  Possibly some kind of pellet that would make everyone happy?

While I am at it, if anyone has suggestions for 1 or 2 more tankmates, I'd love to try something new but not unless it makes sense.

Thanks!

It sounds like you're feeding far too much.

Even a 'tiny' spoonful would be too much for the fish you have; a large pinch would be more in order.

Corydoras are not algae eaters, so you definitely need some meatier pellets for that one. You also need more cories, as they do better in a shoal of at least six of the same species.

That would pretty much fully stock your tank, although you might have room for something like a pair of dwarf cichlids; perhaps Bolivian rams or apistogrammas, depending on the dimensions of your tank and the hardness of your water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back