Feeder fish

fishyjessie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Anyone give me any ideas as to what it would take to start breeding feeder goldfish to feed to the oscars?

Here are instructions on how to breed regular goldfish and im assuming thats what the feeder fish are at lfs.

Breeding: Breeding is easily accomplished. Condition the fish on live foods and high protien diet. Gradually increase the temperature to 75 degrees F. Provide shallow water, soft vegetation or a spawning mop, and excellent water quality. Immediately remove parents once the eggs are layed, or the eggs will be eaten. Takes 4-6 days for the eggs to hatch.

I don't think goldfish breed until they are big and mighty. And you cannot tell whether one is male or female until breeding time arrives. Depending on the size of the fish. If you know you have a breeding pair of goldfish, they are moderately large and followed FN's tips, you shouldn't go wrong. But if you really want to get alot of feeder goldfish for your oscar then a pond can be made too. Making a pond basically guarantees breeding without much effort. But if you don't need much, or that badly, then just the tank way is fine.

Hi fishiejessie :)

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that unless you have lots of tanks and oscars, breeding feeder goldfish would hardly be cost effective. While I know things are more expensive in Alaska than in New York, they can be bought for 10 cents each here. Think of how many you could buy for the cost of a tank large enough to house a pair of mature goldfish. And you would also need tanks to raise the fry in. :huh:

How about raising guppies instead? :D

Most reactions

Back