Fed Mosquito Larvae To My Betta

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bluesand1313

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a puppy pool in my backyard for my puppy, and since it hasn't been really warm out I haven't emptied/cleaned it out in a while. My puppy doesn't touch it unless it's cleaned, so it's all good there.

The thing is, the puppy pool now has mosquito larvae in it. I remember reading somewhere that mosquito larvae could be fed to your betta, so I captured four of them and fed them to my betta. Now I read again and it's saying that you shouldn't feed mosquito larvae to your betta...

What should I do? I hope I didn't just kill my betta there D:
He had a lot of fun finding them and chasing them, so if it isn't actually a problem i'd like to do it again, but I guess my main question is, will he be okay?

Do you know if your area gets sprayed for pests?  Or do you spray anything to kill pests in your yard/home?  The main thing about not feeding your betta mosquito larvae is the possibility of poisoning from chemicals.  If there are no chemicals sprayed in your area, then it should be perfectly fine to feed them to your betta.  That is one of their natural food sources and they love them.  It is a good way for them to exercise while eating by making them hunt the food.  Be aware of how many you are feeding at once though as there still is the problem of bloating/constipation if they overeat. 

hmm despite what wildbetta said i dont reccomend feeding wild bugs to any animals IE fish reptiles for risk of carrying disease and the works.

Mosquito larvae are one of the few things I will actually collect from the wild to feed my fish.  I also feed a lot of live foods and very rarely feed prepared dry food so my perspective is a little different than some peoples. 

Thanks, I don't know what to think here ^^

It doesn't get sprayed with anything other than the hose, which is just water so I think he will be safe. I fed him four today, maybe I will just feed him four in the morning and his regular food at night? It was fun watching him figure out they were there and then hunting and eating them, and I'm sure he had fun, too.

I am a little worried about diseases though. Usually mosquito's in my area don't carry diseases, but... larvae can create heartworm and I don't know if that's in dogs and cats or maybe fish too? xD

no, no dont feed it regularally only as a weekly snack , like wildbetta said feed them too much and it could get bloated.
As i said before stay on the safe said and dont feed wild things to your betta IMO, theres bloodworms at the store too.

It is good to feed them live foods. Just not everyday

i feed my discus, kribensis, tetras live mosquito larvae once a week without problem. but remember to not feed them too much or too often as they are very high in protein and too much can kill the fish if they have a sensitive stomach.

I feed blackworms and have never had an issue with feeding live foods in general. They are definitely my bettas favourite snack.

Come to Singapore and you will not come across any mosquito, not even in the zoo. If your household was found to have a mosquito larva, the fine is $100/- for each larva.

Please, avoid feeding it to your bettas even though it is the best staple food for them.   Dont spread dengue.

noor said:
Come to Singapore and you will not come across any mosquito, not even in the zoo. If your household was found to have a mosquito larva, the fine is $100/- for each larva.

Please, avoid feeding it to your bettas even though it is the best staple food for them.   Dont spread dengue.

well it actually prevents dengue. we feed them while they are still larvae

Noor, in some areas in North America and Europe you can't go outside without being practically eaten alive by mosquitos at certain times in the Summer. There the only problem feeding the larvae to fish in your aquarium would be if your area is being sprayed with pesticides that will then be present in the larvae and could hurt your fish, or even kill them. 

Dengue fever is only a problem in tropical countries!

Oh yes, don't forget west nile virus we have here and yes its spreading. Its great for the Betta for snacks. I don't see how Betta can get heart worms. You cracked me up........
59.gif

rofl.gif

rofl.gif

rofl.gif
  Dried Bloodworms are good for snacks too. I use it for my
Bettas and other small fish.  
smile.png
  Out in the wild......wild fish eat insect of all kinds. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back