Featherfin Catfish food help?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Appledookiepie

Reaction score
Hello! I have a 75 gallon with only a featherfin catfish, 5 mollies, and 5 zebra danios, so far. The featherfin has lived in a 20 gallon hex tank for a year, since he was a baby (yikes, I know!!), so heā€™s not a great scavenger in the big tank yet.
I feed Hikari sinking wafers for my featherfin, but it seems the mollies eat most of it before he can get to them (Iā€™m not really concerned about the danios, they struggle to pick up wafers due to their mouth placement.). Is there a larger wafer anyone would recommend? Iā€™m also concerned the mollies are gonna get bloated from the amount theyā€™re eating, since they pretty much donā€™t stop until the food is gone. Their regular meal is flakes and peas, but we all know how much they love food! Iā€™ve tried distracting them with algae wafers and veggies, but I always find them back to the normal wafers! The featherfin doesnā€™t push them out of the way, heā€™s pretty shy. Thanks so much in advance.

Hello for featherfin catfish all you need to do is try to feed them in dark.
They are nocturnal. I bet that fish swimming around all night while other fish are looking pale or not swimming at all bc of the dark environment.
Try this, when you turn off your light wait 2-3 Hour and then that featherfin must have 1 place that he hides & you can see that he/she mostly always right there to hide at day. Put the food around there. I feed mine with sinking pellet & zucchini and no fish trying to eat it since they're dead looking at night lol. Even my danios didn't touch the food

Synodontis are omnivorous and are most unfussy in terms of feeding. Frozen, live and dried foods are all accepted. It also relishes vegetable matter in the form of shelled peas, cucumber etc., which it will rasp at with the teeth in its lower jaw. Given this, shrimp pellets, Omega One Veggie Rounds, and Nutrafin Tabs wold be good sinking prepared foods. As KevinZ mentioned, feed these foods (alternately) after the tank is in total darkness; not just the tank light being off, but the room being in total darkness as well. Ambient room light will still allow the upper fish to be active. But after darkness, the Featherfin is more likely to eat in peace.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back