Feather Duster

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Underwaterfragglerock

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:D Hello, all. I just started my 55 salt tank. Eventually it will be a reef tank but for now I am letting it cycle using around 40 lbs. of live rock. Over the past few days I have noticed quite a few twig-looking things I think are little feather dusters. Is this normal on live rock? What do they look like? And even more important, how do I keep them alive and help them to thrive?

Probably are little feather dusters. Just keep the calcium and other water levels ok and they'll thrive. You don't need to feed them anything special.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Only a reefkeeper can have appreciation for the mental image of a person sitting in front of a glass box full of nothing but water and rock,...looking for little signs of life...

GL

B) lol, GL. I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!
Anyways, new update: first of all you are both right: they are dusters. Thanks for the tips! Secondly, I thikn I have a coral!!! Now, let me attempt to describe what it looks like and you guys can tell me what you think.
IT almost looks like a pink.see-through spider. It has tentacles which seem to be moving on their own, not becasue of water flow. NOw, I didn't think it was a coral really until I entered the dark room housing the tank and suddenly turned on the tank lights. The thing was extended out and seemingly looking for food? As soon as the lights were on, it began to slowly sink back into itself. It is attatched to a rock.

1. Is it a coral?
2. If so, What kind is it?
3. Right now I only have normal fish tank lights. Do I need to buy the reef lights now to keep it alive?
4. If not a coral, what the heck is this cool thing?
THANKS!!! :nod:

i have a feather duster in my salt tank the lfs told me they get there food from nutrients in the water. so you dont have to actually feed them. just dont scare them or they will loose there feathers. i know from experence. i thought he was dead but they grew back in about 2 weeks

Most reactions

Back