Faulty Juwel Light - Not The Ballast!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Just before I went to bed last night I turned on the light of my Juwel Rio. It was OK for about a minute, then it just went out. I thought it was a bit strange as when the ballast goes, the first sign is that the light won't turn on. I plugged it into another socket (it was plugged into a timer, so I thought that may have been faulty), and it still wouldn't work.

Then I remembered reading about the in line on/off switch in a post a few weeks ago. Tried the switch and it didn't feel right, sort of 'soft', not the firm click it should have. When I got up this morning I tried a new fuse just in case, then I cut the switch off the cable and put a plug on the wire without it. Hey presto - the lights worked.

So first of all, a big thank you to the other member who gave me the idea (I can't find the thread, but the person tried this as a last resort). You saved me the expense of a new light bar! Secondly, to anyone with a similar problem, try this before taking the whole thing to pieces, or buying a new unit.

My jewel light sometimes works sometimes does not work, maybe i will give it ago.
Cheers for the tip

Karl

hi
i have been having the same problem in the last week, i have had to change the fuse on the plug twice in one week,
any ideas what might be wrong, it has a 3amp fuse, would 5 amp be better,

cant see how the switch could be blowing the fuse thankyou

'Then I remembered reading about the in line on/off switch in a post a few weeks ago. Tried the switch and it didn't feel right, sort of 'soft', not the firm click it should have. When I got up this morning I tried a new fuse just in case, then I cut the switch off the cable and put a plug on the wire without it. Hey presto - the lights worked.'

undo the caps and give the tube a slight twist then do them up

Some time the seals go on the caps water gets in the holders and causes a fault (spare caps are only a few quid)

got my lights on a timer so i dont touch the switch

thanks for the reply, went to do what you said,
undo the caps and give the tube a slight twist then do them up
and noticed that there was mud algae on tube at the back, i had moved a air stone just underneath
and the air bubbles was causing to much water to splash up onto the tube, so have now put the air stone at the back away from light tube
thanks again

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back