Faulty Fluval Roma 200 Light Unit

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

IAmATeaf

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I purchased a Roma 200 tank from ebay a few weeks ago, drove 130 miles there to pick it up but when I got it home the light unit didn't work. Contacted the seller who told me to take it to a local pet store to see if they could test it for me, drove round to a couple and eventually found a place that was able to test it, result was that the tubes were OK but the main light unit was faulty. I also somehow mananged to break 1 of the tubes during the driving around to test the light unit saga.

Contacted the seller again and basically told him that the main units dead and if he'd go halves i.e. £30 with me then that would be fine by me and I'd get a new unit.

His response was to say the auction "item was sold on an 'as seen' basis" and that "you had the opportunity to thoroughly inspect, test (and pack) every component of this item before you accepted it."

Now the auction didn't state sold as seen and in all honesty it never occured to me to test the unit even though at 1 stage the unit did accidentally fall to the floor after he leant it against a wall, gave it a look over and nothing was broken so assumed it was OK.

Anyway, sorry to bore you with the above, it seems that as I paid cash there's little or nothing I can do, live and learn experience that's going to leave me out of pocket I suppose but having seen this thread http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/265546-fixing-juwel-light-bar/ I was wondering if the method described in the thread could be used to attempt a repair on this unit. Has anybody used this guide to repair a Fluval light unit?

Print the auction page off and take him to small claims court :good:

I dont know about repairing it but if you can get to a Hagen Factory they will sell you it at trade prices, I needed some parts for my 240 when I got it and it was much cheaper than the shop quoted me I needed the flaps that sit on the top and the shops told me £35 for them and they sold me them for £15 its worth a try. I believe they will post it as well and they gave me free postage on some bits for my filter that they didnt have when I went to the factory :)

Wills

I dont know about repairing it but if you can get to a Hagen Factory they will sell you it at trade prices, I needed some parts for my 240 when I got it and it was much cheaper than the shop quoted me I needed the flaps that sit on the top and the shops told me £35 for them and they sold me them for £15 its worth a try. I believe they will post it as well and they gave me free postage on some bits for my filter that they didnt have when I went to the factory :)

Wills

Will look into this, I've already contacted Hagen who have told me that the light unit is sealed and will need to be replaced, cost is £77 inc postage.

Print the auction page off and take him to small claims court :good:

Is it even worth doing this? His emails seem to imply that I must have somehow damaged the light unit in transit. I was hoping that his good natured side would come through, I've found a place that will get me a replacement for £60 so I asked him for half but he came back with the sold as seen and you had a chance to inspect etc...

Depending on how the original ad was worded, you may well be wasting your time filing a claim. On the other hand, repairs to light units are not very complicated once you figure out what parts are still working. I have fixed a few in my day.

The original ad was very sparse on info, I asked the seller a question to clarify that everything was working, which he responded to saying everything was working.

To be honest I don't think I can be bothered with the small claims court and will probably end up just getting a replacement unit. I'd try the cutting the light unit as detailed in the pinned repair a juwel light unit thread but I don't have a dremel or similar cutting tool.

I've left neg feedback for him, that's the least I could do given the circumstances.

Cash or not - file a complain with ebay - if they want to take that attitude with you, give it to them too.

The testing is rubbish - going to test pumps and heaters whilst you're at it?

Also might be worth posting up on the ebay forums and seeing what they think about what to do.

Hi Guys,

New to the site and sorry to dig up an old thread - I can't comment on ebay fall outs but I've just been through the exact same sort of failure with my Roma 200 2xT8 light bar and thought I'd share my experiences in case anyone else suffers...

The components in the bar, I'm afraid to say, are rubbish. Push fit electrical joints, flimsy plastic and cheap fittings. That said the bar is not a sealed unit and can be serviced - the top cover of the bar can be separated using a screwdriver to reveal the components in minutes.

Besides the tubes/wiring, there are only two components that can really fail - the ballast units and the starter units. Ballasts are expensive, starters are peanuts from most electrical stores so depending on what the cause of failure is, you could be looking at a sub-£3.50 fix.

Unfortunately for me, mine was a failed ballast unit - Fluval wanted near on £80.00 for a new bar, so instead I picked up two T5 tubes, a suitable ballast unit and fitting kit from my LFS for under £70.00. I then stripped the bar of every component and re-used the original housing to build a perfect fit T5 light bar (the equipment the Roma should have always had IMO).

I run a marine set up and the tank now looks stunning - Worth considering the above before shelling out £80.00 on replacement bars from Fluval...

Most reactions

Back