Fat bloated gourami need info

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Chuunofish

Reaction score
Hi we have a female pearl gourami which appears to be carrying a ton of eggs and has been doing so for 3weeks or so, I need some advice please. How long can she stay in this condition as we are cycling a breeder tank before introducing her and the male to it?

Existing water parameters: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate all 0, kh3 water quality seems ok as we have had Oto and danio fry. Pic enclosed

Attachments

• 20200618_192649.jpg
    20200618_192649.jpg
    979.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 20200618_192645.jpg
    20200618_192645.jpg
    838.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 20200618_192643.jpg
    20200618_192643.jpg
    964.9 KB · Views: 132
Hi we have a female pearl gourami which appears to be carrying a ton of eggs and has been doing so for 3weeks or so, I need some advice please. How long can she stay in this condition as we are cycling a breeder tank before introducing her and the male to it?

Existing water parameters: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate all 0, kh3 water quality seems ok as we have had Oto and danio fry. Pic enclosed
That isn't eggs. It's an internal infection, tumour or cyst.

There's no treatment.
Thanks for the diagnosis, should I euthanized her to end her suffering

You can try epsom salts and if no improvement after a day then euthanise.
I have no idea on the dose rate for Epsom salts but others on here use it so maybe start a thread asking for dose rates on Epsom salts.

Have tried general tonic without any noticeable change after 3 days, unfortunately impossible to get Seachem general cure atm. In the UK

Epsom salts are available from any supermarket and is magnesium sulphate. It's used to make up a relaxing bath for people but helps draw fluid out of bloated fish. It might help but might not.

Any pine coning? I suspect its not a fluid inside the fish..
Is the gourami a balloon kind of fish?

I had something similar with a honey, did a strong Epsom salt dip and nothing, the next day I did a strong dip followed by a 24h weaker dose in QT. He cleared his bowels and started looking a lot better, unfortunately he stopped eating and succumbed a week later. Best of luck with the salt baths, if you need strengths to mix I have posted them in another thread so will be able to find them for you.

My Gourami is exactly the same at the moment, she has blown up like a ballon.

I have tried salt baths, water changes, and paraguard medication, but nothing has worked!

how is your Gourami doing? 20200722_105029.jpg20200722_105102.jpg

I think it is a lot down to their diet, mine ate some catfish pellets high in protein which probably blocked him up (if it’s constipation) I now feed a combination of normal and veggie flake and my new pair seem a lot better.

I think it is a lot down to their diet, mine ate some catfish pellets high in protein which probably blocked him up (if it’s constipation) I now feed a combination of normal and veggie flake and my new pair seem a lot better.
Fish don't get constipated.

---------------------------------------------

@maz53 , aquarium salt baths are useless and they hold the fluid inside the fish. The fish bloated, there is fluid in the fish where epsom bath salts will 100% help you with this. Bloating is a common sign of over feeding, cut down on feeding.
Is there any pine coning on the fish?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back