Fao Cat Owning Fishkeepers!

jennybugs

Eternally pruned fingers!
Joined
Feb 10, 2007
Messages
2,047
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Swinging London, UK.
EDIT: Actually (stupid me) I have just done a search on the forum and my questions have been answered! Why I didn't do that first, I don't know :lol:

My cats have picked up fleas from a stay at the vets and I am treating them accordingly with drops :crazy:

Before you say 'Hey, this is a fish forum!' :lol: my tanks are dotted all about the house and I want to treat the furnishings and carpets to avoid the fleas moving in! The stuff I have to use says dangerous to fish and aquatic life and to cover tanks where necessary or remove fish. Removing the all the fish from the tanks will not really be feasible, as I am sure you can imagine :blink:

How would you all recommend I 'cover' the tanks etc? I am thinking seal them completely with cling film or such like, until the room has been completely aired. Is that safe enough? Will I suffocate the fish? How long is adviseable? Or would covering with a blanket/sheet/newspaper suffice? Would you recommend me running carbon in all the filters? Should I turn off the filters while I spray? Am I mad trying to contemplate this, even though it's a precautionary must-do?

As you can see, lots of questions!

I don't use any form of chemical aerosoles/ polishes/ perfumes etc in my house due to my fish tanks and am very concerned about what to do. I won't shoot the cats, so best not to suggest that :grr:

Your suggestions/advice will be gratefully received ASAP as I want to tackle this tonight and the OH is convinced he's being eaten alive already :shout:

Thanks peeps!
 
There is an effective flea treatment available in the UK (don't know if I'm allowed to mention brand names here?), which consists of a natural mineral (diatomaceous earth) which you sprinkle on cats or dogs and furnishings. It's not a repellent, it actually kills the fleas, and it does work, if you keep using it through the flea season. It's not harmful to cats or fish, or humans - it works by dehydrating the bugs (a bit like putting salt on a slug), and contains no insecticides or chemicals. I react really badly to flea bites, huge itchy lumps which blister and bleed, so I know as soon as my cats get them, and can tell if a treatment has worked or not; one of my cats reacts badly to the drops, so they're not an option for us.

If you do decide to go ahead with spraying, as well as covering tanks etc. the other thing I'd recommend is being really careful about washing your hands, arms, any equipment like nets or algae scrapers etc. before putting it in the tank, for several weeks after you spray, in case you pick up some of the insecticide and transfer it into the tank. Most flea killers are deliberately designed to persist and carry on killing any fleas that hatch for weeks after you spray, so will still be on your carpets and furnishings for some time. :sad:
 
There is an effective flea treatment available in the UK (don't know if I'm allowed to mention brand names here?), which consists of a natural mineral (diatomaceous earth) which you sprinkle on cats or dogs and furnishings. It's not a repellent, it actually kills the fleas, and it does work, if you keep using it through the flea season. It's not harmful to cats or fish, or humans - it works by dehydrating the bugs (a bit like putting salt on a slug), and contains no insecticides or chemicals. I react really badly to flea bites, huge itchy lumps which blister and bleed, so I know as soon as my cats get them, and can tell if a treatment has worked or not; one of my cats reacts badly to the drops, so they're not an option for us.

If you do decide to go ahead with spraying, as well as covering tanks etc. the other thing I'd recommend is being really careful about washing your hands, arms, any equipment like nets or algae scrapers etc. before putting it in the tank, for several weeks after you spray, in case you pick up some of the insecticide and transfer it into the tank. Most flea killers are deliberately designed to persist and carry on killing any fleas that hatch for weeks after you spray, so will still be on your carpets and furnishings for some time. :sad:
Good points raised there, thanks! I keep all my fish keeping equipment in a giant tupperware style box, so if I put that outside along with fish foods etc, hopefully that will help.
I'm going to run carbon in the tanks for a few months too.
Can you pm me the brand name of this product please? :D
 

Most reactions

Back
Top