Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Fancy & Blue Lyrletail Guppies - To Breed Or Not To Breed?

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by savethefishes, Aug 22, 2008.

?

to breed or not to breed?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. savethefishes

savethefishes Member

Im new here everyone! :crazy: My name is Amber :hyper: and this is my first question/post! Okay ..... my setup is pretty simple I have a 10 gallon with 4 male guppies - there are 2 Fancy Guppies and 2 Blue Lyrletail Guppies. They are starting to nip at one another and bullying. I think they are just "ready" for females? I would love to add females and make them happy :hyper: BUT the last time I had an aquarium with a mixture of male/female fish it got out of hand! I had nowhere to take the fry and the breeding kept continuing. I have no problem in getting another aquarium for the fry to "grow up" in, but what would I do with the fish once they are grown? :unsure: I dont think my LFS would buy any from me either. They are VERY particular! :angry: And nobody I know has a tank. I want all of my male guppies to be happy and live a long fishy life, but then again I dont want history to repeat itself and there to be fish and fry EVERYWHERE, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

2. lilfishie

lilfishie Its a kinda MAGIC!! ^_^

i'd say if your not ready for loads of tanks or have somewhere for the fry to go then stay clear of breeding, i started with a trio now have 4 tanks full :rolleyes:

if the males are nipping get a few more to help spread the aggression

3. savethefishes

savethefishes Member

Its not that Im not ready. I just dont know what to do with the babies if there because 100+ like before! Im sure I would choose a few and keep out of each breed and put them into the 10 gallon that I have now and then put the 4 male guppies that I have now into a 20+ gallon tank. What do you all do with your fry? Sell them to LFS? Donate them? Keep them? Re-breed them? :unsure:

4. lilfishie

At the minute my breeding has slowed down a lot, also i don't seperate females to give birth so only get the 2/3 i see out of the tank, i do tend to keep the best males and females for myself the others go to friends or the lfs

5. savethefishes

savethefishes Member

Sorry I am still getting used to this forum. :X
    I am not comfortable adding any more fish because I also have 2 other fish with the 4 male guppies - a Bumblebee Catfish and a Green Cory Catfish. They are bottom feeders and nocturnal. They could care less as long as theyre water is clean and warm! ;) Those catfish will be taking the majoriy of the room up in that tank for the next few months until I start them up their own then they will be moved. (So, in the meanwhile my 4 guppies wont be getting anymore friends unless its females of course! :hey: ) I also thought it would help if I added more fish, that is how I ended up with the Lyrletails! :lol: They are actually veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy territorial and nippy! :grr: It made the aggressive problems worse. My fancy guppies were bored with one another and inseperable, now they just have company they want to GO AWAY! :/

6. lilfishie

if you add females you'll need 8, the general ratio is 2 females to every one male,

i have lyretails too, they just appeared from a red male and plain female, now the main breeding male is a lyretail so get quite a few, get the odd red now and then too

7. savethefishes

savethefishes Member

WOAH! Thats a lot of loving! :shout: Wouldnt that max out my tank, especially with the 2 catfish in there temporarily?

Did you say your 2 guppies created lyrletail guppies? :huh:

8. lilfishie

Yep they just sprung up, however i do know that the dad of the red was lyretail so it was in the genes already

i didn't actuall create them, i just got some in my breeding

9. savethefishes

savethefishes Member

Well, one of my lyrletails just died! :-( :/