Family days out…why do we do it..?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

NannaLou

Fish Herder
Reaction score
You’d think that we’d learn from experience, but it seems not so in all cases.

When the eldest two grandchildren were 5/6 ish we went to France for a week’s holiday. Paid 100s of Euros to get into Disneyland for the day and they hated it! They hated the crowds, the queues and, when they got to the front of a long queue, they hated the rides! We also went to Playmobil land and paid €1 each and they played for hours…

Fast forward 10 years and yesterday (having driven 3 of the youngest grandchildren 180 miles to visit my son) we paid £100+ for 8 of us to go to the zoo… we were in and out in about 2 hours…they had a quick look at any animal they could easily see and then ran to the next enclosure… we took them to the penny arcades in the early evening, £2 each of 2p pieces and they played for ages… When asked what have you enjoyed most today the unanimous answer was the penny arcades! 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️😢

Are we unique..? Are there others out there that have planned “special treats” that have failed to live up to the hype and expectations..?

My wife and I are nerds, so we used to drag our kids along to museums. Now,as adults, my kids visit cities based on what museums are there - it was like a delayed action bomb for them. So while they were not happy with our choices, and bored when they were young, they must have found something.
Disney's Disney - if I do evil things now I'm going to one when I die. They went to the one in Florida when they were in their early teens, and had fun. If they had been smaller, I think they would have done what your gang did.

I think a lot of little kids don't like the big shows we expect them to. We take them before they can appreciate it. It's the adults who have the money, and I think a lot of big ticket amusement parks are designed for the parents and grandparents anyway.

But not liking zoos... the horror. I think you should take them to a public aquarium, and if they dislike that, hang on to see if the great grandchildren pan out!

I think Disney Land is really hyped up, but it’s not worth it. Just my opinion. If you can get in when there’s not many people there, it will be a lot more enjoyable. But for you to wait in line for 30 minutes+ for one ride, just for it to be over in 2 minutes? It starts to get to you.

My parents took me to universal studios when I was under 2 years old... So I didnt enjoy anything cause I cant remember it 😂

It’s very odd, I know at least 5 families who went to Disney this month. My family went to Disney in Orlando when I was about… 6? I think we went again when I was about 9 because my littlest sisters were old enough to remember it by then.
Ever since then, my dad has said “it’s something everyone should do once, but I’m never going back”. I think you have to plan it right, time of year, the age of the kids, etc. etc.

I remember little details from when we went when I was 6. I remember sitting on the couch with my mom and looking on eBay for a princess dress, so that they could afford it for me to go in a costume. I remember going to Walmart and getting a little journal for each of the princesses to sign. Then I remember when we were actually there, my older brother asked Cinderella for a kiss on the cheek. Repunzel danced with us. I was mortified that TinkerBell was human sized, and how short her skirt was🤣 but I also remember being really tired. And waiting in lines. And being really hungry, but my parents telling me we couldn’t buy any food.

As a 5 year old who went and only wanted to see Disney princesses, I thought it was pretty cool, but only cause I was little enough to think they were real princesses. I have some really cool memories from it that I will always look back fondly on, but don’t think I would go again. Definitely not back to see the princesses lol.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back