False julii corydoras had a baby

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

it was an emergency, although I could have saved myself the trouble and just euthanized the tetras. the cories are doing the hide thing today as well but seem happier

On January 21st all the trilineatus were hiding, acting stressed and last night during their water change I saw the tiniest baby. I think they were doing something in the caves of the 10 after I moved them back in. Laying eggs maybe? How long is the gestation period for cory eggs? My bronze cories only successfully reproduced when there were dead leaves on the bottom of the tank, when I moved them to the hex tank they laid eggs on the glass and no babies. My new bronze cories, well had about 8 months, are about to get an oak leaf for their tank

I don't know about gestation, can't remember from when I hatched C. bicolor eggs that I worked to scrape off the glass right after they were laid and save, but eggs laid where they are easily seen by any fish including the cories themselves will be eaten fairly quickly. If an egg is laid where it escapes notice, it will hatch and the fry have a better chance of surviving predation than the eggs ever have. Over the years I had several fry of different cory species "appear" at about half an inch, and I frequently rescued them from the canister filter when I cleaned it every 3 months.

Dried leaves are advisable, as they produce infusoria which is the first food of fry. Fry grow faster with dried leaves in the tank. The more leaves the better!

The eggs here have usually taken 3 to4 days, but I only restarted with Corys recenty after a long time without them. I seem to recall some going a bit beyond 5 days. Temperature should play a role.

I use a lot of oak leaves. They\re great, but they can harbour oodinium, so water changes matter more.

I've used bug bite pellets run through a grinder til they are close to powder, and my young Corys do well on freshly hatched bbs. I'm not raising babies now though, just pretty small store bought juvies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back