False julii corydoras had a baby

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Alice B

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I hope they didn't have more, I didn't see any swimmers when I did a 75% water change today but I saw the baby in the newly moved and redecorated tank afterward. They were in a really cool room, 65 at night, I just moved them out and without knowing species I don't know if I need the heater in their tank that I added today. Tank temp on air driven is usually really close to room temperature. I've got to get thermometers in. Anyway who are they? I got a video of the tiny baby, putting on youtube. Tank was labeled "Julii" when I bought these. They were about $6 each False Julii's or Trilineatus. I'll be chasing down temperature answers, because obviously they like my water with its pH of 7.8. I need to be sure I don't overheat tank. both species call for a pH below 7.2, and that doesn't happen here unless I quit maintaining my tanks. But I think reproduction is a good sign.

Attachments

• 20221009_150211.jpg
    20221009_150211.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20221009_150153.jpg
    20221009_150153.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Baby Cory checking out aquarium ornament. This tank has been bottom tank on a stand in a barely used room for months. It just moved to the living room and got a heater. I am not sure it should have the heater, and I hope no baby cories went down the toilet, but I don't think any did. The fish were in tank, mostly under filter, when I moved it.

Thank you. Still kind of figuring out what they are. They are so small - even the adults. I was thinking something the size of a bronze when I bought them. They may live in a 10 gallon forever

Thank you. Still kind of figuring out what they are. They are so small - even the adults. I was thinking something the size of a bronze when I bought them. They may live in a 10 gallon forever

I've learned since I adopted three spotty cories that the spotty ones are tricky, since there are so many, with only minor variations in markings/headshape etc, so it takes someone who knows those species well to pick out what they are! I joined the Coydoras World facebook group to try to get an ID for mine - you don't have to be a member of the Corydoras World website in order to join the FB group either, non-members can join the FB and ask for help to ID them!
They need clear photos of the adults in order to ID them. Try to get some clear side shots, so they can check the markings, fins, headshape etc. :)

when I get a few minutes I will try for better pictures. Going to be much easier now that the tank is a couple of feet off the floor instead of 4 inches

when I get a few minutes I will try for better pictures. Going to be much easier now that the tank is a couple of feet off the floor instead of 4 inches

Haha, same! When I was quarantining the spotty cory rescues, the QT tank was on the floor and 3/4ths of it was hidden behind the fish stand. Nice and peaceful for the fish, but difficult when I was trying to get clear photos of them! :lol:
Happy for you that they bred! If they've spawned once, you can always try some tricks like cooler water changes to see if you can induce them to spawn again... if you want to collect the eggs and try to raise them, or try leaving the eggs in the parent tank and see how they do. When mine have spawned I've always collected the eggs, except the last spawn, I was going to leave it. But the eggs were slowly vanishing and being eaten, and when I saw a cory eating some of the last remaining eggs the day before they were due to hatch, I had to rescue those! Got six young from that small patch of remaining eggs.
But even with egg collecting, it's tricky to get them all, and I've dropped some into the tank, or missed a few that were laid on a leaf or something, and found some that raised themselves in the tank. :) Congrats!

My trilineatus are back in their 10 gallon, after a couple of weeks in the 40 long not getting much to eat. Some whiskers aren't as long as I'd like, and I'm doing a 5 gallon water change every 2 days. I know they like an lower ph and they were much happier when their water was more aged. They ate better, came out more. So I put a big brown oak leaf in after their water change tonight. Good idea?

no one knows if the oak leaf is ok?

Dried leaves of hardwoods like oak are fine. Very much so, as leaf litter is present in many cory habitats. And the slowly decomposing leaf produces infusoria which is a food of most any fish, and especially good for fry who grow faster.

The best food for cories is Bug Bites because insects and insect larvae are their prime natural food. The mini bites will do well for your smaller (fry) and the standard sinking bites for the others. Just do a quick stir when you add whichever and they rapidly sink.

I have bug bites, but they had not shown an interest in eating yesterday until after I did a 50% water change and the light went out

I have bug bites, but they had not shown an interest in eating yesterday until after I did a 50% water change and the light went out

That is a sign they are or were stressed by something, probably the recent move. Corydoras really do not like moving homes, and they perhaps not always but certainly very often show their dislike by either glass surfing, or remaining hidden, and usually showing no real interest in food.

Most reactions

Back