Fairly New To Killifish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

indigoj

sic itur ad astra
Reaction score
Hi,

After being given a Golden Wonder Panchax a few months ago I have since bought 3 more. ( I believe I now have 3 females and 1 big male) I have also bought 3 Clown Killifish (about 1" long at present - unsure of sexes)

My Golden Wonders are in a community tank with Praecox Rainbows, a pair of Gold Rams and some small loaches. The Clowns are in a different community tank with Sparkling Gourami, Khuli Loach and several small catfish.

They all get fed a mixture of flake and frozen foods regularly and the Golden Wonders are amazingly tame - they will swim onto my hands for food.

So, does anyone have any advice on either of these species? EG: Life span, adult size, any special requirements other than spawning mops for breeding?

I already have soft, acidic water that is tanin stained from my bogwood.

Thanks in advance!

Below follows a reply to a previous post from a fellow member I hope it is of some use to you.

Male Aplochelius lineatus "Gold" will be a more intense colour than the female which will be duller in colour leaning toward a silvery gold if you get my meaning. The males unpaired fins will sometimes have red edges and are longer than the females. You may not need this but below is some personal breeding notes for the above species.

Breeding Golden Wonders Aplochelius lineatus Gold. (My Way)
So you are attempting to breed Aplochelius lineatus Gold. I would give the pair a tank of their own 18x10x10. The tank being bare except for a small air driven sponge filter, heater set to 75'F and a couple of acrylic yarn spawning mops. http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breedi...awning_Mop.html
only 3/4 fill the tank and provide a tight fitting lid as these killifish will jump. The water is soft and slightly acidic with a pH of 6.8. The male will drive the female into the mops and adopt a stance alongside the female, the pair will then form an "S" shaped pose as the male squeezes the female into the fibres of the mop. This is followed by a slight jerk and a single egg is deposited and fertilised, then the pair release only to start the process over and over again.
(Alongside the usual staple flake I like to give this species live and frozen food)
The eggs are quite large and can withstand a fair degree of handling. Pick the eggs from the mops daily ( gently, with your fingers). and place them in a margarine tub, floated in the parent tank. Remove fungussed/unfertilised eggs daily. the fry will hatch in or around 10-14 days. They are quite large and can take newly hatched brineshrimp and microworm from the outset. Keep the adults well fed (livefoods, frozen and flake) and keep their tank clean, removing any uneaten food on a daily basis. Water changes are also an essential part of killifish husbandry and I like to change about 1/3 of the water weekly.
These fish are quite a large species easily attaining 3-4 inches in the home aquaria, they are predatory by nature, so please do not combine them with small tetras or danios etc.
I cull the runts and slower growing fishes for the simple reason of maintaing good solid stock, the smaller ones will only be bullied and subsequently killed by the larger ones. When the fry are starting to sex out you will notice a fair amount of squabbling, especially amongst the males. Take out the females and rear these seperately.
This is a nice species to breed for the novice killifish enthuasist, they present little or no problems in maintaining, breeding and the rearing of fry and present a stepping stone to go on and attempt some of the more exotic species.
I hope this was of some help to you in some form or other.
Regards
BigC

Clown killies. They have bred in a tank with lots of plants the fry dont seem to be eaten much by the adults the fry managed to find enough micro food on the plants until they were able to eat small daphnia and other little critters from the pond.
The first one is a male with the colourful tail, second a young female.

ck2.JPG

ck1.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back