Extremely active RCS

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tacocat

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi there, I have a 5 gallon tank with a betta, 4 rasboras, and a cardinal tetra(yes ik not greatest stocking but right now there's not much I can do about it (parents etc.)) Anyway, I also have 3 assassin snails, 2 red cherries and 3 tiger shrimp. At the moment,t one of the RCS are hiding because it just molted. However, the other one is being extremely active and is flying around the tank. It has a sort of mucousy film over it. I'm pretty sure it's about to molt, but I'm not entirely sure. It sort of looks like a mating swim, but the mucousy stuff and the fact it's been at it for hours straight says otherwise. I'm curious as to what it is and if it might be harmful. I will test for tank params later.

Attachments

• IMG-3030.jpg
    IMG-3030.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG-3035.jpg
    IMG-3035.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG-3038.jpg
    IMG-3038.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 45
Bit of an update, the affected shrimp is now less active and acting normal, and I noticed a fresh molt. However, the shrimp still has the same moldy glossy look.

I don't see the "moldy glossy" in these pics...looks like a saddled female, to me

Bit of an update, the affected shrimp is now less active and acting normal, and I noticed a fresh molt. However, the shrimp still has the same moldy glossy look.
Prior to moulting, shrimp often perform a series of exercises, to flex the outer carapace and to try and separate the old skin from the new. Halfway through the moulting process, the shrimp acquires a sort of milky appearance. Usually, moulting takes place out of sight...somewhere secure for the shrimp, because it is vulnerable when freshly moulted.
However, I do hear tell that if a shrimp cannot shed its coat, it'll perform some relatively frantic exercises to shed the old.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back