External Filters....need Some Questions Answered.

'justified' - to be honest, it isnt, it is clearly a sweeping statement on all fluvals being cr£$ is what you two are saying, unfortunately, i have seen this topic many times in this forum, and it still gets the old fluval -v- ehiem war going every time.

whilst i appreciate that some people may get one filter and love it, and another may hate it, but to come out and say they are all bad is to be fair stupid. thats like saying ok i hate a french person, therefore all french people i hate - or you didnt like a certain flavour of ice-cream, therefore all of them is bad.

i know people will stick with what they like regardless, me, well, im with the fx5 - ive had various filters before, including ehiems, however the fx5 has done a great job for me, they are not as well built as the ehiems, nor is there the range of parts - but for what i paid, i really cannot complain

i have 2 completely agree i was put off by fluvals for a long time becasue of ppl's comments just like miss wiggles and went for tetratec or eheim and had problems so thought i would try fluval and behold they worked and lasted longer than both the eheim and the tetratec both 2gether so 1 mans problems isnt enough 2 justify slagging a complete range off i will agree eheim over all would be a better filter but thats not saying that they will last any longer than any other filter on the market

2 miss wiggle if u dont want a back lash on ur comments then dont make them in the first place as been said ur a very established memeber on this forum and ppl listen 2 u more than they would with others but comments made like that is just silly in a sense becasue ppl listen 2 u its like ur forcing them 1 way or another

If the FX5 is the only Fluval you have had, I'm not supprised it's not given issues yet. It's not quite got the the 3 year mark at which IME at least, is where Fluvals typically start to fail :sad:

To avoid making a sweeping comment, the FX5 has thus far appeard to be reasonably OK for reliability, with only a few motor failures. This said, this was the case for the 04 series and 05 series at this point, and the 04's were s?#!, and the 05's are now starting to fail like flies hit by fly spray if work's customers make a representative sample. Granted, not all will die, but if the 05's go the same way as the 04's, most will... FX5, well, we'll wait and see. For the price of it, 8inary has a point, they are basically a disposable filter... You don't mind if they fail just outside warrenty, as they weren't that expencive anyway. Eheims run far longer than Fluvals, it's been shown in prictice time and again, and you save money through buying an Eheim, as you don't have to buy 3 Fluvals in the 10 yours you run the filter for, the origional will still be doing it's job if you do go Eheim :good:

To avoid this becomming an Eheim vs Fluval war, for what it's worth, Rena are good also in my limited experience with them. Tetratec's if they carry on the way they are going should be good also, but haven't been about long enough to tell long-term realy.

All the best
Rabbut

so wot do u say 2 ppl that have had 104/5's 204/5's 304/5's and 405? like i have and had not 1 single issue with any of them

to be fair, ive had many fluvals and ehiems over the years, and 'i hate saying this' ive had more issues with ehiems, however, i would not make such a sweeping statement like Miss or yourself, and say all ehiems are bad, in fact, i actually think ehiems are great filters, as ive said a few times, they are better made, they have a great parts service, but i am not as narrow minded as some are on here!

by the way, well said Jen!

What I would say to those runing an old 04 series is congratulations, you got one that worked :nod: Consider yourself lucky, for every 2 people on here that have them working still, 4-5 have had their's fail, electric shocking them in my case, or watering their floor as with andywg (twice I believe), CFC, Miss Wiggle, Big Ian e.t.c to name just a few that pop into my head... While when Fluvals work, they do what's said on the box, but to keep doing that outside warrenty for any reasonable length of time, amongst this member base and work's customers at least, would put that filter into the "minority exception" box, as a pose to the norm for said filter range :/

lol @ onebto

and in the red cornerrrrr, we have narrow minded people

I'm shutting up before mine throws a tantrum and fails then as discus without a filter isn't good

I have run fluval 205 for nearly 3 yrs, never had a problem with it. Extremely easy maintenance. I must admit I did want the eheim when I bought it however funds prohibited it. Problems on 04 range were addressed with 05 range.

If you have problems, let the manufacturer know, they need this feedback in order to make improvements!!!!

Also run a fluval 1 internal on another tank, noisy if it needs cleaning, but otherwise this has been going 2+ years so far.

On tank with 205 I also run a tetratec internal (funds prohibited the fluval of same size at time of purchase as it was a present) I have run this now for 8 months (ran it in old tank before swapping to get it up on bacteria) that is a good filter too and easy to clean.

So, my questions are, is this statement true? I can see what he means by more filteration, but how would this work in my 84L tank? It it too much?

I ran the 205 on a 105 litre tank, when it was new it seemed to be overpowerful, once up and running it is okay but I lower the output slightly to avoid too much surface agitation. It also means you have a larger filter if you upgrade your tank at any point, will keep you going for a while and can be added to (like I did with the internal) if you go way up on tank size.

ok whatever, if you've got fluvals that work that's great for you. but i've had lots fail and i know plenty of other people who share my experiences.

i'm sorry if you feel that my statement was too strong but i stand by the principle of it. I don't like fluvals and I would never recommend anyone to buy one.

To get a bit of context here, I'd like to think I have quite a good relationship with lazerus who posted this topic, there's a few of us that have been working with her to get her tanks sorted for months and she has had more than her fair share of problems through no fault of her own. The last thing she needs now is for things to go wrong with the new tank too and if they did I'd be absolutely heartbroken for her. So if my statement was strong it was only so out of respect and a genuine concern for the OP asking the question.

Lets all just chill out a bit hey, bit pointless a bunch of grown adults arguing over filters over the internet eh?!

What I would say to those runing an old 04 series is congratulations, you got one that worked :nod: Consider yourself lucky, for every 2 people on here that have them working still, 4-5 have had their's fail, electric shocking them in my case, or watering their floor as with andywg (twice I believe), CFC, Miss Wiggle, Big Ian e.t.c to name just a few that pop into my head... While when Fluvals work, they do what's said on the box, but to keep doing that outside warrenty for any reasonable length of time, amongst this member base and work's customers at least, would put that filter into the "minority exception" box, as a pose to the norm for said filter range :/

rabbut its irelivant of how many ppl have had problems the initial comment by miss wiggle was 2 avoid fluval at all cost as tho every single 1 has problems with and ive just proved they dont so 2 make such a comment was in sense just stupid if u have a problem with fluval so be it dont make asumptions for every person that has them i could quite easily make comments about the 5 tetratec filters ive had which have all either failed or leaked but i havent and never will i still like them and would still recommend same as i would the 2 eheims ive had fail but 2 generalise in such a big way is a complete no no when even tho alot of comments on here have been bad about fluvals theres also alot of comments been good about them aswell ..... think this is the end of this syubject i think u made a comment the other day (i appologise if it wasnt u)about fluval FAN BOYS butisnt that just how ur making urself out rite now with eheim :unsure:

Been a long time since someone accused me of being narrow minded :lol: If you continue with "ad-homen" attacks, the mods will likely shut the thread down 8inary, so please do try to keep things polite :good: Name calling is a clear breach of forum rules, but I'm shure you knew that already...

EDIT to add for Jen, please note that I have not just recomended Eheim, but also 2 other brands that I have used and liked. Yes, assuming everyone will have trouble with Fluvals because of their own individual experience isn't a great assumption, but this should not stop anyone from voicing hteir own opinion. I think I may want to jump to the background for a while, as this thread is clearly started to get flaming hot, no pun intended ;) Rather than trying to say "oh this brand is the best, forget the rest" can we all just stick to giving out opinions of filters. This should be more productive to the OP. :good:

to be fair, you are pushing your views on others, without them trying something different, and rather than expressing what has happend to you, you put down the entire range of fluvals, with broad sweeping statements that are not consistant. You may have said, 'i had a fluval that failed' and wrote what had happened, rather than making silly comments thereafter, unfortunately in doing so, you do not get the respect from others, hence the reaction of people to this thread.

when someone asks for help in these forums, it is better to try and offer impartial advise 'as hard as that it', or at least just give your experience pro's/cons with the filters you have had.

you should know how this works, your not a newbie Miss!

sorry Rab, however you now seem to be going back on what you wrote previously - I do believe you said Miss Wiggle's comments were justified, however in your last post, you wrote "Yes, assuming everyone will have trouble with Fluvals because of their own individual experience isn't a great assumption".

i do agree with you on one point Rab, this topic has become quite heated, that is sadly as a result from comments being posted from a certain person!

it is sad to note, that someone who is an experienced poster, comes out with stuff like that, ...very sad!

so now it's my posting style thats the problem rather than that i disagree with you?

look i'm a very straight up person, i speak as i find and call a spade a spade, i'm not gonna apologise for not pussy footing around with my opinions.

i'm not gonna back down and tell you what you want to hear, i stand by my statements, I do not recomend fluvals to anyone. but i'm not gonna sit here arguing over it all day with you so as far as I'm ceoncerned this topic is now closed, I won't be replying anymore.

Lazerus, sorry your topic has erupted like this hun, didn't mean to start a fight! :dunno:

Miss - I think you find that people have reacted in a certain way, because of your views that fluvals 'all of them' are bad, and how you are expressing these broad sweeping statements upon newbies/others.

Even Rab who was not against you, has said what you wrote was not a great assumption!

I too apologise to Lazerus for his thread being ruined, however i feel that people need to hear both sides, not just some sweeping statement like what you are offering to that person, you are an experienced poster, give a good pro's and cons list about it, rather than saying stuff like you did.

Also, i wouldnt expect you to back down, that is not what this is about, you could have easily come up with a pros&cons list, highlighting what you thought of each different filter you had - that, i think would have gone down better, than the comments you made

you just have 2 give up at some point lol i apollogise 2 rabbut and miss wiggle nothink i said was ment 2 be personally in the sense i think u both took it was the generalisation which started this thread :(

2 the OP its completely ur choice on filters i use fluval with no problems others like rabbut and miss wiggle use eheim or tetratec so dependant on funds and which u prefer then make ur choice by comments made :)

jen

Most reactions

Back