External filter question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kevfiz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all do I throw out the water that's in the external filter canister when I do water change?
IMG_20200426_123706.jpg

Since you have it apart for cleaning anyway you may as well. Give the inside a wipe and rinse. Once you put the media back in refill with clean de-chlorinated water to make priming easier.

I wash the filters in the can and then throw the water down sink. No need to scrub or wash anything as that will harm the bio stuff. No need for tap water either so your doing things right.

Priming is easy from the pipes so no concern there. No need to touch tap water tbh. Leave it well alone and maybe check every 2 weeks or if the flow rate drops, mine is ok at this level.

Toss the old filter water. For mechanical filtration, typically sponges, you can spray/rinse/clean with tap water. For bio-media, you simply rinse with tank water. You can clean the inside of the canister.
Remember, there's far more beneficial bacteria in the substrate and decor of the established tank than in any filter (doubts...consider the available surface area!).

When I do the filter clean I always clean the sponges in each bucket of water I take out of the tank for the water change

When I do the filter clean I always clean the sponges in each bucket of water I take out of the tank for the water change
You can do that, my point is that with mechanical media, you don't need to be concerned about protecting beneficial biology...so you can put those sponges under a power spray with tap water and it's fine. What you want to protect is any bio-media that you have in the last trays. Now in my case, I have all my filters totally filled with sponge material...however, I have a well with no chemical treatment so I clean in my kitchen sink with no issues. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back