Expired Medication

fishyfreak

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
185
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
My fish came down with the well known Ich disease so I decided to go buy a commercial medication to treat it, $60 (180 gallon tank). I changed 25% of the water, vacuumed the gravel then added the medication with 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 10 gallons of water as recommended by the specialists where I buy all my fish and supplies. Although recommendations on the salt call for 1 tbl per 5 gallons that's too hard on my scaleless fish like the catfish. Anyways, after the 3rd treatment it wasn't improving, it wasn't getting any worse but there was absolutely no change from a week ago, the fish were still scratching with the odd white spot. So my wife called the store and asked what to do next, "keep going with the treatments" was the reply. Fine, as long as it's safe. Last night a day after the 4th treatment I noticed the Ich was getting worse so I knew there was something wrong. When I finally checked the expiry date at the bottom of the container it read EXP05-07. Needless to say my wife's calling them this morning and raising hell. Fortunately the fish are still doing fine despite the irritation, I even have a Kenyi holding eggs.

So everyone, before you go dumping loads of chemicals into your loving pet's home, please check the expiration date, even the best advice in the world won't help your fish if their meds are expired! Thank you.
 
My fish came down with the well known Ich disease so I decided to go buy a commercial medication to treat it, $60 (180 gallon tank). I changed 25% of the water, vacuumed the gravel then added the medication with 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 10 gallons of water as recommended by the specialists where I buy all my fish and supplies. Although recommendations on the salt call for 1 tbl per 5 gallons that's too hard on my scaleless fish like the catfish. Anyways, after the 3rd treatment it wasn't improving, it wasn't getting any worse but there was absolutely no change from a week ago, the fish were still scratching with the odd white spot. So my wife called the store and asked what to do next, "keep going with the treatments" was the reply. Fine, as long as it's safe. Last night a day after the 4th treatment I noticed the Ich was getting worse so I knew there was something wrong. When I finally checked the expiry date at the bottom of the container it read EXP05-07. Needless to say my wife's calling them this morning and raising hell. Fortunately the fish are still doing fine despite the irritation, I even have a Kenyi holding eggs.

So everyone, before you go dumping loads of chemicals into your loving pet's home, please check the expiration date, even the best advice in the world won't help your fish if their meds are expired! Thank you.

i always look at the expiration date!

good luck!
 
I would be fuming at the lfs.
If it had been food you can get the store into trouble for selling out of date goods.
Hope your fish make it.
Good luck.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top