Expert Recommendations?

6raham Parkes

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a 20 gallon tank with so far about 9 kilos of live rock which has turned a lovely purple colour so all is working well so far i believe. I have 4 red legged hermit crabs, 4 turbo snails and a sand sifting starfish. I am looking to do the next step which is to add some coral and was looking at what recommendations people had? I would love a really bright and colourful looking tank and eventually would like a pair of clowns and anemone in there somewhere.

I think I could do with some rock first anyway but i like to do my research so i dont go into a shop and impulse buy something without knowing its going to work.

Your help would be much appreciated

Thanks

what lighting?
what skimmer?
what power heads?
water stats?

Clowns = yes, nice pair of small ones ie occelaris or percs.
Anenome = i wouldnt.

As Ben said. We really need to know what kind of setup you have as this will determine what kind of livestock you can keep. Also agree the 'nem is probably not a good idea in a smaller tank.

Hi..welcome. I hope you will provide some more information for our members to help you. My only comment for now is that I do NOT recommend an anemone for a nano tank. SH

I would also hold off on the anemone until you get more experience and the tank matures. Then if you feel like you're ready for one, have a go.

Anemone's need very stable params and alot of light. They'll also move themselves to a place they like in your tank.

+1 to the pair of clowns, everyone should have some and they're great beginner fish.

Now onto corals, if you have decent lighting (power compacts or t5's) i'd start with some mushrooms and other soft corals. Mushrooms are hard to mess up with unless you neglect your tank!

Hi thanks for the warm welcome

Sorry I'll make your life easier to hopefully make mine

At the minute I have the standard lighting that came with the tank (PL18W Marine Blue 12K fluorescent Tube for AquaStyle 620T) should i replace this?? with blue led lighting for night time

I dont have a skimmer at the minute and have heard varied stories into whether this is a must? if so do they do internal skimmers as the existing filter system that comes with the tank is all at the top and it isnt an open tank.

The tank is an aquaone 620 and still has the existing filter that comes with it (which im hoping is ok)

I have a 120l wavemaker pump (forget the actual brand) but have been assured this should be enough and have positioned it on the opposite side to the exit for the filter system hoping it will create a current of kind.

The water is currently at 1.026 salinity with good levels of nitrate and ammonia. havent got sand and have used fine gravel (hoping this is ok)

Is it ok to have clowns without an nme? i like the idea of the black and white but also wanted a normal orange type and wondered if you could have them together?

I have about 9kilos of rock at the minute but i think i might get another couple this weekend.

Is it better to get fish before the coral or vice versa?

Thanks for all your help so far

I'll reply to one part...it is better to get fish prior to getting coral. Fish need food. Food adds nitrates. Fish add fish poop and ammonia. It's infinitely better to get your fish and LR first and practice good water management. Corals need superb water conditions to thrive. In the nano reef hobby, we truly are 'waterkeepers'.

Fish first.

SH

hi...

you will probably want to add a bit more light imo.

1.026 is right for a reef.

For soft corals you want 20X the tank volume in flow

and i would get a skimmer, having ran tanks with and without i can deffinatly tell a differebce. Being a coral newbie you want to make things as easy for yourself as possible

Thanks guys

Just a quick query I have that i was hoping you might also be able to help me with?? I have noticed this morning a pair of red legs from one of my hermits, i dont think ive lost any and wondered if they molted their legs? i have heard they might do this due to stress and one possible cause of this could be the huge amount of mites i have spotted in the tank.

Are the mites a problem or are they part of the process?

Thanks

Graham

Most reactions

Back