Experiences with Seachem Excel Flourish or API CO2 Booster?

Beckett

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I have staghorn algae in my tank that I am trying to get rid of. The algae started when I switched from a flourescent tube to a fluval 3.0 at Christmas time. When I noticed the algae 3 weeks ago or so I lowered the tank lighting to 50% strength and reduced the light time from 9 hours to 6.

Unfortunately the algae is still growing slow and steady. It’s not too bad yet but I worry it will eventually kill my valisnaria by covering it fully. What can I do to get rid of it?

Does anyone have experience using seachem flourish excel or API co2 booster?

i do not have co2 on my tank and i am wondering if that imbalance is the problem.

I have used Seachem Flourish Excel, because I had an algae bloom that lasted at least a couple of months. I was changing 20% of the water every week. Nitrates 10-20 ppm. The bloom started when I tried to go for 50% light over a longer period so that I could have light on when either my wife or I was home. I didn't see any improvement when I tried Excel for a month. I eventually reduced the bloom by never running the lamps at less than 100% except for a 20 min ramp up and down with a total on time of 11 hours. I finally cleaned up the bloom by two treatments of clarifier, API brand, and a polishing pad in the HOB filter. Normally the filters only run with a sponge, and bio substrate of some sort. The fish or plants never seemed to suffer or even mind the algae bloom so I wasn't in a hurry to remove it.

I don't know what size light you are using but using the data from Fluvial suggests you have about 4250 lumens (couldn't find a par rating), or 30 to 50% more than the lamp I am using (based on 48" lamp). If you are running at 6 hours a day I wouldn't think the light is causing the issue, but I could be wrong. I wonder if the nutrient load in the tank might be too high. Hopefully someone with more experience than I will answer this request, but I would be looking at something else causing the algae.

The concensus here is to avoid using excel. I once dropped a few drops on my linoleum floor and it removed the coloring on the floor. I wouldnt want that getting inside my fish. YRMM

Hi, I have staghorn algae in my tank that I am trying to get rid of. The algae started when I switched from a flourescent tube to a fluval 3.0 at Christmas time. When I noticed the algae 3 weeks ago or so I lowered the tank lighting to 50% strength and reduced the light time from 9 hours to 6.

Unfortunately the algae is still growing slow and steady. It’s not too bad yet but I worry it will eventually kill my valisnaria by covering it fully. What can I do to get rid of it?

Does anyone have experience using seachem flourish excel or API co2 booster?

i do not have co2 on my tank and i am wondering if that imbalance is the problem.
Valisnaria should grow and spread well by sending out runners. If leaves have algae I remove the worst ones at the base each week. The new leaves won't have algae and your lighting adjustment will hopefully stop it forming.

Most reactions

trending

Back