Expensive Experiment

nurglespuss

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi all,

I got some cherry shrimp... yesterday, I now have none left.

I witnessed my white clouds chasing them as soon as they were introduced (there's loads of cover in my tank). Then they seemed to lose interest.

Watching them today however, I've seen them diving in and out of the java moss, pecking and swimming through it (Which they never normally do). Then, I saw one come out with a live cherry shrimp, and another swoop in and rip it in half...

I know these guys are predatory for insects etc. but I just didn't think they would do that.

Live and learn I guess? its a big bit of java moss, maybe some survived? But I can't see any.

:sad:

Yeah, I'm normally used to them being very, very peaceful and playful, I guess having red food and then 'red' shrimp was maybe to blame? Who knows?

hey ho.

My Boeseman's rainbow fish do this. It really annoys me. I've got a breeding colony of cherries in my fry tank though so I can always restock the main tank.

I'm tempted to get rid of the rainbows for this reason. They are pretty fish but I want my cherry shrimp more.

Mollies, swordtails, guppies, pleco, bristlenose plecs, peacock spiny eel and even the dwarf yellow puffer don't bother with the cherries. It's just the rainbows!

Darn! Yes, fish can be ever so annoying at times!

Well some of my white clouds ar 5 years old, so would feel bad getting rid.... Ah well, I'll get some more clouds for a bigger shoal, and try a shrimp only tank in the future...

Most reactions

Back