Expectant Crayfish Mum

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

D

donporter

SSL20227.jpg

Just caught this pic during a water change.
Eggs have been there for about 4/5 weeks now.
Do the eggs hatch in situ, or does she shake them lose when they are ready?
She has been, what looks like trying to detach them for a day or two now.

Regards, Don

SSL20253_edited.jpg

3 days on and those black dots have appeared on the eggs.
They are the young one's eyes.
The eggs will soon hatch and the babies stay attached to the mum for a few days apparently.

Cigars all round, Don.

SSL20253_edited.jpg

3 days on and those black dots have appeared on the eggs.
They are the young one's eyes.
The eggs will soon hatch and the babies stay attached to the mum for a few days apparently.

Cigars all round, Don.

Nice cray. What kind is it? Could you include some info (adult size, tank size, e.t.c)? O and more pics soon :shout:

Nice cray. What kind is it? Could you include some info (adult size, tank size, e.t.c)? O and more pics soon :shout:
[/quote]

It's an Australian Redclaw. I knew nothing about them when I got the pair a few months ago. They can grow to approx 25cms. They are in a 20 gallon tank at the moment, or just the female is. I took the male out yesterday to avoid stressing the female. The eggs should hatch in a day or 2 now, and when the young detach from mum I will take her out also. Should be around 50 babies to look after, and I've been advised to try feeding them on algae wafer, but I've had no luck finding that in Saudi yet.

The female is hiding under a piece of wood now, but as soon as I can I will post more pics. And if you're interested try www.crayfishmates.com

Regards, Don

SSL20258_edited.jpg

Here's the latest shot taken today. I'm still getting used to this camera/adobe. Hope it's OK and please tell me if I'm boring you.

Regards, Don

WOW GORGEOUS :hyper: :drool: Will you be selling them?

O and they are not boring at all! Some of the best pictures I have ever seen. :good:

Wow! Fascinating picture Don :hyper:

Can't wait to see the babies being let loose :D You must be excited.

WOW GORGEOUS :hyper: :drool: Will you be selling them?

O and they are not boring at all! Some of the best pictures I have ever seen. :good:

Thanks very much

I want to try and keep them. Depends how may survive.
My friends all want to know when the BBQ will be :angry:

I haven't had much success with my fish and I've had a lot of begginers luck with the crays.
I really enjoying having them and they are a lot easier to look after (in my experience anyway).

The young should be walking around in a couple of days, so I'll take the female out then and see what happens to the little'uns.

Regards, Don

Yes I am, and a bit mental probably. Apart from my job, this takes up all my time.
I get 2 weeks vacation from Saudi at Christmas to go and see my family.
I haven't seen my wife and girls for 4 months and I'm worried about leaving the crayfish :crazy:

Won't they get too crowed or are you going to move them to other tanks?

I need to get some new tanks. It's early days yet, but I can see my house turning into crayfish world. :hyper:

Yes I am, and a bit mental probably. Apart from my job, this takes up all my time.
I get 2 weeks vacation from Saudi at Christmas to go and see my family.
I haven't seen my wife and girls for 4 months and I'm worried about leaving the crayfish :crazy:

Won't they get too crowed or are you going to move them to other tanks?

I need to get some new tanks. It's early days yet, but I can see my house turning into crayfish world. :hyper:

Heh should be a wonderful world to live in. Man I wish I could find these in the U.S. All they have at my lfs are some dwarf ones which I may try down the road.

Heh should be a wonderful world to live in. Man I wish I could find these in the U.S. All they have at my lfs are some dwarf ones which I may try down the road.
[/quote]

Good luck with that, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :good:

Don

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back