Evolution Of The Tanks (And Of Obsession!)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alm0stAwesome

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! One of the fun things about the forum is getting to see new tanks being set up and watching each other grow as hobbyists. I've been really impressed by some of the tanks I've seen up by new fishkeepers (because they are so much better than I managed!) and thought it would be fun to show how my tanks have changed over the relatively short time I've been in this hobby. 

I hope that others will add the evolution of their tanks as well, this could be fun! 

Starting from the "dark days" when I was doing it SO wrong - I didn't even know about cycling when I got these goldies. I was very fond of this guy though. 

This is the same 48L tank but at this point I'd seen the error of my ways. Switched to tropical and cycled with ammonia
smile.png
It contained what I will argue (to my death!) was the most beautiful betta ever hatched, 6 espei rasbora and 3 sterbai cory

It didn't take long before this tank wasn't cutting it any more so I upgraded to a Juwel Rio 180 which held various fish over the time that I had it but I still have many of them
smile.png
This was my first planted tank and so it naturally evolved over time but this is how it looked before I sold it. 

In the meantime I set up this little 35L for my betta, I felt like he needed his own digs
smile.png
To keep him company he had Axelrod's rasbora and amano shrimp

And now I've got this 4ft, 340L tank (stocking in my signature). It's been set up for I think 8 weeks so it's got a long way to go! 

Very interesting! Atleast your progress went in "leaps"...

Mine? More of a jump from a 42litre tank to a 220 litre...

Then again there was that 20litre tank before...

Lol - well I think that just means you're more sensible than me! On the other hand, I had to move slowly in order to keep my husband on board haha. 

stunning progress, iv got pics of my first tanks and the ones i have now as well,  the 3rd and 4th are my fav's. if you want in abit i'll upload my progression, think it could be an interesting thread if everyone did that, see start to where we are now 

Some great pics, love the third one down! I am not sure what it is with this hobby that make you want bigger and better.  I got a 48L, whilst still cycling upgraded to a 125L (and kept both) and now have been looking at a 340L!!  You have a great eye for tank design
yes.gif

Here is a before and after of my 27 gallon cube, just got into plants and still have some planting to do but im happy with it so far

Before                                                                                                          After

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:70863][sharedmedia=core:attachments:70999]

Beautiful planting, simple and uncluttered. You definitely have an eye for this.

Thanks everyone!

Mike, I would love if you posted your tanks! Everyone feel free to participate, who doesn't love pictures? :)

Your tank is looking very nice indeed MrsEspo, I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops :D

Lol jay, you've got it baaad, didn't even get the first tank going before you had another. We may have to get you into a rehabilitation programme at this rate :p

Thanks Awesome. Also for your help on my other post.
I got this tank on June 30th and already have 2 more lol. When you find that rehab program let me know. I definitely think my husband will sign me up hahahaha

where to start. why not at the beginning. 

my first tank ever, small 1 foot i had in the loft and won fish off a fair  no lights, 4 gold fish. no info on cycling until 2 of the fishes died (1's still alive in our pond now) 

tank 2, i got for xmas pressy for the goldfish 20L before i found the forum. this is the second scape as i never got a pic of the first. i upgraded to a 3 foot (below) and moved my goldfish to the pond. starting to get into plants now....

and MTS bug has bit. so heres the upgrade to the 20L 

that tanks been closed down and only just been recently opened again for shrimps i'll let it grow in before i put pics up, it looks bare cos of baby plants 

progression of my 90L tank after the first pic 

second scape 

3rd scape 

4th scape 

then i got a 3rd tank when i had the second scape of the 90L 

first scape 

second scape 

3rd scape 

replaced my 20L with a 70L and heres the upgrade for the shrimps

and my latest scape (besides the 20L which i have no pics of yet, as i said once it grows in, baby plants in a jungle scape looks bare) 
 this is my attempt at a plant biotope (SE asia)

Love all of the scapes in the rimless tank, if I had to choose :p

What's the stock in the plant biotope? Loving the tannins in there, really sets off the theme.

im loving it, the plant list or the fish list? cos the fish list isent asian, it was going to be but i closed another  tank down and had to move the fish.... 

I was thinking fish but it would be handy to know your plant list as well if you don't mind. The little 35l I posted above was a SE Asian biotope. I seem to remember that I fudged it a bit on something but can't remember what it was now lol.

rotala sp. vietnam
limnophila aromatica
cryptocoryne wendtii "tropica".
Cryptocoryne parva
Cryptocoryne Balansae 
Taxiphyllum alternans
Barclaya longifolia 
Aponogeton Crispus
Microsorum pteropus (java fern)
Microsorum pteropus windelov
Microsorum pteropus "trident"
Microsorum pteropus "needle"