Everything I need to know about an Angel Fish.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jordan_Deus

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi there,
I have a 250 lit tank (about 60 Gallons) that I intend to stock with 3 bristlenose plecos about 22 Red or Black phantom tetras and 18 Corys. I was wondering if I can stock Angel Fish with said fish? Assuming I can I would like to know how many should be kept together, what gender they should be, what species of Angels is most recommended (and why), what to feed etc.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Parameters are: Ph 7.6 dGH: 8 Kh: 15. Tank is in the process of being planted now, and will be heavily planted. Tank measurements are: Length - 100cm Depth - 43 cm Height- 57cm. Filtration is handled by a Aqua One aquis 1200.

Edit: Would like to mention I do want to have some Cherry or Ghost shrimp.

You have ideal water parameters for angelfish, but there are some things to consider. My explanation should answer your questions.

Angelfish are by nature shoaling fish. They live in smallish groups ("small" meaning 12-20 roughly, as opposed to the large groups of many hundreds for characins and similar). This need for a group has biological implications. They establish an hierarchy, males are territorial, and with too few there will inevitably be bullies and subordinate fish literally bullied to death. None of this occurs in their habitat because they have the space to avoid one another and the hierarchies are strong. Five is the minimum for a group, and there is insufficient space here for this; a 4-foot tank can work, sometimes. And it needs the height as the vertical fin span of this fish will reach 8 inches.

A pair can work provided they have accepted each other and bonded. This is crucial, they must choose one another and bond. Acquiring a bonded pair, or letting a pair bond from your own group, is how this is achieved. This brings up a point about having a small group...pair(s) will probably form, and this can make life for the other fish horrendous.

Some aquarists will keep just one angel in a tank, with suitable tankmates. I have a problem with this; forcing any fish into an artificial situation like this is not in the best interests of the fish. The fish may survive, but at what cost? And we need to remember that all this "expectation" is programmed into the species' DNA. We are not going to change it. This is why we spend so much time here explaining habitats and environment; it is the only way to healthy fish.

As for species, there are now (Kullander, 1986) considered to be three wild species, Pterophyllum scalare, P. altum and P. leopoldi. All commercial varieties (Black Lace, Marble, Veiltail, etc) have been derived by selective breeding from P. scalare. Wild fish of this species are available from exporters/importers but most fish in stores will be commercially raised. All P. altum and P. leopoldi will be wild caught, unless the store obtains them from a local breeder, but this is very rare so far as I know.

Distinguishing male/female is not at all easy, unless the fish are mature, particularly in spawning readiness when the tubes (ovipositor) will be more visible. Sometimes behaviour is a clue, and this is more obvious when you are looking at a large group for a bonded pair.

These fish will naturally push and shove each other, in the largest tanks and in the natural habitat; but rarely if ever does this lead to physical damage in spacious surroundings. But as soon as they are confined within anything less, this hierarchial normal behaviour can become deadly in very short order.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. After reading your comment I have obtained more knowledge on angelfish (again thank you). It has also helped me reach the conclusion that angelfish won't work in my set up as my tank most definitely cannot support 12 angelfish as well as the fish mentioned in my OP. I find it hard to believe my tank could support 12 angelfish at all. I think I'll settle for only the fish in my original post with some kuhili loaches mixed in.

I had read up on angelfish and thought it unlikely to work out but I had to ask.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. After reading your comment I have obtained more knowledge on angelfish (again thank you). It has also helped me reach the conclusion that angelfish won't work in my set up as my tank most definitely cannot support 12 angelfish as well as the fish mentioned in my OP. I find it hard to believe my tank could support 12 angelfish at all. I think I'll settle for only the fish in my original post with some kuhili loaches mixed in.

I had read up on angelfish and thought it unlikely to work out but I had to ask.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

The group of angelfish needn't be 12, but five minimum, just to make that clear. But not in this tank. We see angelfish in the store tanks, and they are so small we have to force ourselves to remember how large they really are as adults. Six inches in length and 8 inches in vertical fin span is not a small fish.

I will post a video I have posted previously from time to time as it is one of the best to demonstrate what angelfish need to be truly healthy. This video is a group of 11 wild-caught P. scalare from the Rio Cuiuni. The tank is 200cm x 65cm x 65cm holding 220 gallons (empty). The aquarist comments in the notes that he considers this almost too small for the fish. But the video does show how these fish should be maintained, according to their natural inherent traits, and it shows how they naturally interact. There is a lot of push and shove, but as I mentioned previously this is how the fish are supposed to behave; no fish is being targeted or bullied, and none are being torn to shreds, which you can be assured would happen with too few in a too small tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back