Everything died in 36 hours.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Helen

Reaction score
:( I am so upset. All my 7 fish have died within the last 36 hours. I have a 10 gallon tank that is about 4 or 5 years old. I'd had a bunch (4)of platys in there, and they were having fry regularly. One of the fish that died was a little baby. The ph is 7.4, no ammonia. (pH test kit doesn't do upper end of the scale)

Here's what happened:On Thursday I did a water change, and added 3 black neons and a 1"orange snail, new from the store. On Friday, one of the neons was dead, I figured, ok that sometimes happens with new fish. Then Saturday the large female platy died. All the fish were acting totally normal, and didn't look sick at all. I was a little worried and did the ph and ammonia tests above. But then on Sunday all the others were dead. They didn't look like anything specific was wrong, no red streaks, patches or anything. It was very sudden, didn't see it coming at all. I don't understand what could have happened. I moved the snail to another tank, since he was still alive. I've had tanks for the last 10 years and have never had a problem like this before.

I do a 1/3 water change once a month and use the tetra water conditioner. I have a lot of live plants in the tank. I am afraid to do anything with this tank now. I need advice. thanks hh

If it has been the same four platies in the ten gallon, it could have been old age.

The 1/3 water change once a month seems a little too infrequent, but since you didn't have many fish in there, (and it worked for you so far) it couldn't of been the problem.

It's also very likely the neons brought in a disease with them.

So sorry to hear about the loss. :byebye: :sad:

dixaisy930 said:
It's also very likely the neons brought in a disease with them.
:/ If the new fish brought something into the tank, does that mean I have to break down the whole tank and clean it out, or can I try to put a couple of fish in there and see what happens? hh

Hmm...I personally wouldn't go to all of that trouble.

Maybe you could get a good broad spectrum med and use it for the recommended time, give the tank a few extra days after that, and try a few new fish. Maybe you could also try turning the heater up at at temp that would kill off any disease causing trouble-makers.

After re-reading your post, I'm leaning towards old age for the platys (which sounded like they had a good life), and the neons were probably in poor condition before you got them.

(I am no expert of this in the least)

I would start off with more water changes. Change the water every day for a few days then start to do it less frequently. You want to get all the bacteria in there out and water changes are going to be easier (for a ten gallon) then going to the store and buying "stuff" then dealing with what ever the instructions are on the meds.

(I am not an expert, nor do I even have much experience at fish keeping)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back