Everyone's Favorite Thread Topic...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RyanTheFishGuy64

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I have found myself with an empty 45g and i was looking for some stocking advice! I am willing to do cold or tropical, but right now it is cold. I am willing to buy a heater for tropical, so dont leave that out!
Thanks

Oh... I thought everyone's favorite thread topic was about how handsome I am.  :blush:

But, on the subject of filling a 45G...

Cold water - Alasse has some amazing looking goldfish tanks, if you wanted to check them out.  http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/428118-5ft-tank-build/page-11

A large group of white cloud mountain minnows would look cool...

There are many more options, but I'm failing to come up with any.

Tropical - lots of options.

African cichlids.
South American biotope.
SE Asian biotope.
livebearer community.
many many more....

What kind of fish are you interested in? Lots of colors? Many small fish? A few larger ones? Something unique? Whatcha like?

I think id like to try some bigger fish! Lol eagles.. thats our second favorite
yes.gif

Gourami species may be a good option then. Lots of varieties. They're larger than most schooling fish, but they are beautiful to watch. Honey or pearl gourami would be good options here. 

Oh, what is you water like? Soft, acidic, or what? :)

They get far too large for a 45 gallon aquarium. This would be a bad idea. Plus they are very aggressive. The kissing behavior is actually a precursor to sparring behavior which can get ugly.

RyanTheFishGuy64 said:
I think id like to try some bigger fish! Lol eagles.. thats our second favorite:nod:
Being in the top 5 is good enough, I suppose.

Not knowing your water parameters makes it a bit tougher.

The pearl gourami group is a good option, peaceful, active and grow to about 4 inches or so. A group of South American cichlids could work out, though certainly not the biggest ones. Or even a group of African if you have harder water.

How long is the tank? Rainbowfish would be another option for harder water.

My waters pH is 8.2, and the tank is 3 feet.
 Rainbows sound cool too, also does Cichlids...
Would the "Assorted African Cichlids" that you see at any basic petstore work? They are yellow and blue. I dont know the first thing about cichlids so I would be researching them first.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back