Ever Heard Of "Sansibar Rock"?

The Other Lebowski

New Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2009
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I bought this thing called "Sansibar Rock" in the aquarium section of my local hardware store that also sells fish (seriously, and it's the best fish store in town). If you look at my profile, you'll see that I put a lot of this rock in. The thing is I can't find anything on this rock on the internet, except a few German eshops offer it as an aquarium decoration. No further details, except for one that - according to Google Translator - describes it as "calcareous".

Am I in trouble? I'm trying to build a regular planted community aquarium. Will this thing make it uninhabitable due to increased pH and hardness? I don't have any tests kits to check.

If this in fact is a limestone, is limestone really that bad for a regular fish tank? Or is the risk exaggerated?


http://www.zooplus.de/shop/aquaristik/aquarium_dekoration/natuerliche_dekomaterialien/40886

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zooplus.de%2Fshop%2Faquaristik%2Faquarium_dekoration%2Fnatuerliche_dekomaterialien%2F40886
 
Limestone will drive the pH and the hardness quite high. It will be fine for the common livebearers and for African rift lake fish but will be completely wrong for South American cichlids and many of the softer water fish.
 
I bought this thing called "Sansibar Rock" in the aquarium section of my local hardware store that also sells fish (seriously, and it's the best fish store in town). If you look at my profile, you'll see that I put a lot of this rock in. The thing is I can't find anything on this rock on the internet, except a few German eshops offer it as an aquarium decoration. No further details, except for one that - according to Google Translator - describes it as "calcareous".

Am I in trouble? I'm trying to build a regular planted community aquarium. Will this thing make it uninhabitable due to increased pH and hardness? I don't have any tests kits to check.

If this in fact is a limestone, is limestone really that bad for a regular fish tank? Or is the risk exaggerated?


http://www.zooplus.d...terialien/40886

http://translate.goo...rialien%2F40886

without knowing, exactly what rock this is. its hard to say how much it will effect your water, if at all. the water stats for your tank: KH, GH, PH, will also help.


the risk of these things is often "exaggerated". sometimes through, "knee jerk" reactions "all line stone is bad". but more often, because of the reasons i mention in my first paragraph.

what you could do, if you have bought it, is place it in a tank/container, of old tank water. make tests to ascertain your stats. now leave the rock in the container for a few weeks ( changing some, as you change your tank water) after a few weeks take more tests. this will not be a "definitive" test. but it will give yo more information than just dropping it in your tank.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top