Epic Failure

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You laugh, but I learned most of what I've learned on Aphyosemion zygaima - my first Aphyosemion. I had no idea it was one of the most difficult when I bought a pair. Then I found out I had the last pair in North America, and maybe in captivity I worked hard on that one, and still have it going 30 years later.
If you are motivated, you can start with tougher ones.

All the punctatum currently going, the Buong Bai/Bolo Bai population came from here. A friend of mine found them in Cameroon, and when they got here, I babysat them, and bred them. He sold a bunch into the US, and I sent out a lot of eggs. I have tried to get them back 3 times so far, and had no luck.

Welp. It looks my Fundulopanchax gresensi 'Takwai' breeding project ended up being a failure. It looks like my male is on his last leg. While I have gotten eggs out of them, it appears that only two fry hatched, which ended up being two females. I might try a different Fundulopanchax species.

Last edited:
Welp. It looks my Fundulopanchax gresensi 'Takwai' breeding project ended up being a failure. It looks like my male is on his last leg. While I have gotten eggs out of them, it appears that only two fry hatched, which ended up being two females. I might try a different Fundulopanchax species.
Fundulopanchax and Aphyosemion can go fly a kite. My next fish will be dirt divers. The AKA is starting up a Nothobranchius and SAA's section to the KCC.

Dirt diggers. Then can go play in the mud. What do they think this is, Woodstock?

I just got 2 pairs of greseni, and one of intermittens. I know from breeding 3 other populations of intermittens that they like 23-24, while most of my Aphyosemions prefer 20-22. The old Kombone population of intermittens was collected by an acquaintance from a roadside stream in partial sunlight. The water was warmer than for the nearby Aphyosemions.

Yes ! Dirt diggers , soil spawners , peat divers , call 'em what you want. Anything but those pretty plant spawners that laugh in your face. Notho's and Austrolebias that's the way to fly brothers ! Squeeze that peat and store those eggs. Let the guys that like to hit themselves over the head with a hammer keep chasing the end of the rainbow of Aphyosemion and Fundulopanchax .

Here's where I confess I've always found peat spawners way more difficult than Aphyos. First off, my vision makes it very hard to see eggs in peat accurately to time hatching. Secondly, my houses have never been warm enough to incubate properly. I know guys who buy chicken egg incubators for their warm water Nothos, but I am not them.
Even if I can time things right - I remember two moves ago discovering a bunch of bags of Pterolebias eggs in the place up above the water heater where I had put them and forgotten them. They were about 3 years old - once I have to wait 6 months to hatch a fish, that's a risk with my organizational skills.

There are a few annuals I like, but give me my 2-3 weeks incubation plant spawners any time. I can incubate them in water, check them daily...

@GaryE I gave you the "wow" rating for that last comment of post # 21 because we really should have an emoji rating that shows a guy shrugging his shoulders with a question mark over his head. Attention @Fishmanic .
Anywho, how in the world does anybody forget stuff like fish eggs ? Maybe I'm overly anal but I NEVER forget anything in my fish room. Never , nothing. Ever. As for insulated heated incubators , all my associates say that is unnecessary and that room temperature is more than adequate . But , then , I've never bred Notho's so I'm talking out my butt here.

I wouldn't forget them NOW, but I did have 2 jobs, 2 kids, and some extended family health issues going on. I'd already hatched out a few bags too - they were prolific. Great eaters of Apistogramma fry, they were.

I wouldn't forget them NOW, but I did have 2 jobs, 2 kids, and some extended family health issues going on. I'd already hatched out a few bags too - they were prolific. Great eaters of Apistogramma fry, they were.
Okay, I get the two jobs and health issues thing but the kids ? The wife should have handled that , your work was done. 😆

Okay, I get the two jobs and health issues thing but the kids ? The wife should have handled that , your work was done. 😆
The wife shouldn't be the one taking care of the kids ALL THE TIME. The dad has to be a father figure. He can't just do whatever.
And from what Gary says, she also had a few jobs. That's a lot.
There is a reason it's supposed to be a family. Everyone helps with something.

The wife shouldn't be the one taking care of the kids ALL THE TIME. The dad has to be a father figure. He can't just do whatever.
And from what Gary says, she also had a few jobs. That's a lot.
There is a reason it's supposed to be a family. Everyone helps with something.
Gary's work was done. He took care of his end. On to bigger and better things like buy the wife a pair of shoes.

Gary's work was done. He took care of his end. On to bigger and better things like buy the wife a pair of shoes.
Ok, maybe you have had some bad experiences with women in your life but I can guarantee most women are not like that.
And sure, some ladies want to look very nice, that is not an issue as long as they spend money wisely and they don't go and blow it all.
Even guys can spend a lot on stuff lol.

The father/husband usually is the one to go to a job while the wife/mom stays at home BUT sometimes when money is tight the wife works as well.
Or sometimes the stereotypical roles are reversed and the husband stays at home while the wife works.

The husband needs to be a parent as well. He needs to take the role as a father and discipline when necessary, play with the kid, change the diapers, feed them, take them places... Those are things shared with BOTH parents. Not just the mom.

I am a male. If I have a family, I expect to be sharing in a lot of the stuff my wife would also be doing. It would be OUR home and OUR children, therefore we BOTH would do OUR best to care for each.

Even after a long day of work, you will be doing dishes and helping to care for the kid if you have one (or more lol).
Now of course if one of you falls ill, then the other has to step up, but otherwise it is a shared role.

@Rocky998 So you want her to be barefoot AND pregnant ?
Bad experiences with women . . . oh boy , at this point we start another thread but I guarantee you the mods will never let it get one inch off the ground.
WHAAAAAT!? When did I ever say I wanted her to be barefoot? What the heck man...
Also you don't have to be pregnant to have a kid. What if someone decides to adopt? There are lots of kids in the system with no family at all really...

But yeah you're right on the fact that we should probably stop this soon. Otherwise the mods might lock this... No need to do that

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back