Epic Failure

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
I have just about reached the end of my rope with Killifish. Oh , I can do no wrong with Golden Wonders. They multiply like mice. Fundulopanchax gardneri ? Epic failure ! Aphyosemion australe ? Epic failure ! I have read in so many books that Killifish are difficult expert grade fish and many people say that's old information and that Killifish are for everyone . The books are right. These fish are difficult. Really difficult. I'm pretty sure I come off as a clown to some of you. I do like to poke the bear and have my fun but when it comes to my fish I do my homework. I watch them and take very good care of them. I really cater to them. I take fish keeping seriously . I enjoy my fish. Always have. But these Killifish ? Too tough a nut for me to crack. I'm going to be 67 years old in a month. There are far fewer days ahead than there are behind. I want to see some fry. I want to see little Swordtails and Betta's and Rams. I want to see some of my old friends again . My old friends the Convict cichlid and Neolamprologus brichardi and my best friend the Angelfish. Eight tanks with nothing but Killifish is goofy. These pretty fish can live out their lives here in peace but my old friends are coming back.

I have just about reached the end of my rope with Killifish. Oh , I can do no wrong with Golden Wonders. They multiply like mice. Fundulopanchax gardneri ? Epic failure ! Aphyosemion australe ? Epic failure ! I have read in so many books that Killifish are difficult expert grade fish and many people say that's old information and that Killifish are for everyone . The books are right. These fish are difficult. Really difficult. I'm pretty sure I come off as a clown to some of you. I do like to poke the bear and have my fun but when it comes to my fish I do my homework. I watch them and take very good care of them. I really cater to them. I take fish keeping seriously . I enjoy my fish. Always have. But these Killifish ? Too tough a nut for me to crack. I'm going to be 67 years old in a month. There are far fewer days ahead than there are behind. I want to see some fry. I want to see little Swordtails and Betta's and Rams. I want to see some of my old friends again . My old friends the Convict cichlid and Neolamprologus brichardi and my best friend the Angelfish. Eight tanks with nothing but Killifish is goofy. These pretty fish can live out their lives here in peace but my old friends are coming back.
I feel the same about clown killifish. Supposedly easy fish but I can't get them to spawn.

I have been reading all about the Killifish and was thinking of setting up a single species killi tank. Now I am having second thoughts. Probably will still try but good to know they are not necessarily easy or straight forward.

I see more fish tanks in your future. 🔮
MTS is affecting you again. :lol:
33C7479A-557F-4A67-9B6B-EB52181DB94F.jpeg

Everyone's experience with killifish can vary. There are some species where some people are having difficulties getting to spawn while others are having no problem. Just two months ago, I had a talk with Art Leuterman about Aphyosemion sp. 'Lobaye.' I asked him about his experience about that undescribed species in which he told me that they are difficult species to spawn because they require cooler temperature to spawn. And here I am, getting eggs and fry out of my pair with no issues.

Of course, I'm not here to brag. I have my fair share of failures in some killifish species that I kept. Some of my failures comes from my Aphyosemion pyrophore 'Komono Yellow,' A. exiguum, A. ahli, and Fundulopanchax sjoestedti. All of which I experienced either egg fungus or not laying a single egg.

If you're still interested or wanting to tackle another killifish species, try Aphyosemion (Chromaphyosemion) bivattatum 'Funge.' In my experience, this is an extremely easy fish to breed and my pair have given me a ton of eggs. I have counted at least close to 20 eggs once when I checked the mops.

I hate to see you having a hard time, but killies, like all egg layers that have no broodcare, are difficult. I have species here that breed in 10 or 15 gallon tanks with no issues. And other that kick my butt. I have a good friend with the same basic water I have, and he breeds everything I can't. I breed everything he can't. We share all our killies, and it's almost a joke how we don't seem to breed the same species, even if we keep the same fish.
They are tempermental. But if they do breed, watching those colours develop... it's worth it.

I have been reading all about the Killifish and was thinking of setting up a single species killi tank. Now I am having second thoughts. Probably will still try but good to know they are not necessarily easy or straight forward.
Please do not get deterred from what you read online or from a book. The majority of killifish that I am currently keeping have been nothing but success. While I can't say for certain about the annual species, since I never kept them, I can say that I have good luck in keeping most of the Aphyosemion and Fundulopanchax species. If you're thinking of getting your first killifish pair, I recommend either Fundulopanchax gardneri, Aphyosemion (Chromaphyosemion) bivattatum 'Funge,' or A. striatum.

@Crispii Aphyosemion bivvitatum is a fish that I do covet. I had the chance to get them and went with the australe thinking I would have a greater chance of success . That blew up in my face. I'm not going to throw in the towel completely , just not going to have Killifish as my sole focus.
@Fishmanic Another tank is indeed in my future. I have been wanting a 55 for a long time but kind of back burnered that idea because I can't handle one alone by myself. It's time to call in my favors and get son-in-law and grandchildren to tote that barge and lift that 55 gallon bale.

A australe has ceased to be easy. I have trouble with them, and just lost mine. It's not all killies - it's the fact you got ones that cause a lot of people grief.

Brainstorm ! Maybe I've been going at this wrong. Instead of ferretting out the easy fish hoping for success , maybe I should change course and go for the supposed harder species. Ever since I read about 8 inch Blue Gularis I've never been able to get that image out of my mind. I want Nothobranchius guentheri but they are supposed to be easy. I better go with rachovii.

Brainstorm ! Maybe I've been going at this wrong. Instead of ferretting out the easy fish hoping for success , maybe I should change course and go for the supposed harder species. Ever since I read about 8 inch Blue Galaris I've never been able to get that image out of my mind. I want Nothobranchius guentheri but they are supposed to be easy. I better go with rachovii.
I wish you the best of luck if you're going with this route. Maybe try Aphyosemion elberti or A. punctatum, two species that are supposedly hard to breed. Never kept those species for myself, but my friend told me that he has difficulties in breeding the two species. Or maybe you can try tackling the species that I mentioned. Perhaps you'll have a better experience than I have.

I wish you the best of luck if you're going with this route. Maybe try Aphyosemion elberti or A. punctatum, two species that are supposedly hard to breed. Never kept those species for myself, but my friend told me that he has difficulties in breeding.
Well, @GaryE says he and another guy go back and forth each breeding fish the other can't. This makes me think that there are very small and not so noticeable variables that most guys can't pick up on. You never know until you try. Love to see Terranotus dolichopterus in one of my tanks. Yeah , right.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back