Entire Baby Tank Wiped Out!

Missy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:no: :no: :no:

I noticed last night that the babies (nearly 30 mollies exactly 2 weeks old and 7 that were almost a week old) did not have much interest in eating.

I checked the ammonia level and it was perfect.

This morning 2 dead floating.

Fed the others, barely ate at all.

Tonite, when I got home from work, all the babies were dead except three. They are looking really lousy and will most likely die soon too.

I immediately removed them from the tank and placed them in a net breeder in my main tank.

What happened? I'm so sad. I can't believe all those babies have died. :sad:

What should I do now with the baby tank?. Should I empty it entirely, of gravel and plants too, and start fresh or should I just try to scoop out all the dead babies and run it empty for a week or two then cycle it with two or three guppies?

Sorry to hear of your loss, i know that must be very frustrating. :crazy: Did you check the nitrites and nitrates? In my fry tank, the nitrates go up often with all of them in there, and the left over food. That fry food really pollutes the water quickly. I do 10% water changes on my fry tank every 3-4 days with my vaccuum into a bucket just in case i catch a few, i can save them. I would test your nitrate level and see what it says, it may be high and that is why you lost them all, if it isn't then i am sure someone else will come with more help.
Sandy

Well, just checked the Nitrites in the baby tank. Off the charts high!. I guess that was it. I didn't even think to check it last night because the ammonia was 0. Aren't the two connected? I'm also having a problem in my main tank with Ammonia and Nitrites since I last added two gouramis. Working through it, getting a little better. Going to check my tap water in case that has Nitrites in it and could be contaminating both my tanks.
How do I get Nitrites out of the tanks?

By the way, the three I removed are still alive. One not looking good at all, laying on the bottom. The other two ate a little and are swimming near the top. Keeping my hopes up on them.

Firstly I'm sorry about the fry...is this your first time. I know it happened to me the first time. Babies like humans tend to be messy and you should change the water frequently but not to frequantly to stress them. You may want to feed fry baby brine shrimp or small livefoods.

This was the first time which makes me feel even more horrible. I think that both of my tanks are having the same problem. The nitrites are so high. I used the water from my main tank when setting up the baby tank so I think problems carried over without me realizing it.
This morning all my fish have small white dots on them.
1 of the three babies left has died.
I'm afraid I might have killed all of my fish before this is done.

you have 2 make mistakes 2 learn, and what could you have done any ways, you dont have water that doesnt have nitrites so dont even think about blameing yourself. next time you will have happy fry.

Thanks,

I put ick treatment in my remaining tank this afternoon and am hoping for the best. THe two babies are still alive and both ate when fed. Does anyone know if the ick treatment is ok for them too. I have no choice but to use it but if they will die for sure from it I would like to be prepared. OTherwise, I actually think they might survive.

ohhhhh i have once had a bit of a ick prob in my fry tanks my lfs advised me not to use treatments with babies because they are too strong and keep a very close eye on the babies, sorry about the loss of your fry :-(

Increasing the temp in the tank will help stop the whitespot spreading.

Use salt but not if you have scaless fish like cories or tetras etc as they can't tolrate salt.

I found a combination of Bumping temp to 80'F (27'C), adding 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon every 12 hours for 3 days, and using a anti-whit spot meds (BUT REMOVE CARBON) and increase areation (A REAL MUST)

No salt on scaleless fish.

I lost 39 platies to a flesh eating disease!!!! :sick:

Most reactions

Back