England And Mclaren

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

keesh121

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
not sure about him at england gutted he has left boro mind

apparently dave parnaby boro head youth dude is in soho square discussing a part time contract with them for a place in the youth set up

Actually he was taught by Jim Smith and poached by manure.

I don't rate him, I know he's done OK with Boro, but lets be honest, he's won a league cup as a manager, thats it! His best ever league position is 7th (last year!) other than that a 12th, 11th and this season was 14th :blink:

OK he's had some european experience, but it was in the Uefa cup which is the equivalent of the league cup (2nd string) and when it really mattered, he had nothing in the locker and got battered 4:0 by a team that finished in an equivalent position inthe spanish league.

The academy is doing well, but his purchases have been dodgy, I mean he bought all the manyoo dross that wasn't good enough and he can't claim ignorance, he used to coach them when he was there.

In my opinion, he's a great coach, but useless as a top class manager (much like Keegan and Bryan Robson)

Arfie

I agree in parts but he has done well at Middlesborough considering he doesnt have the bottomless pockets of the top teams,Chelski being one.

first off im glad we have an english manager but i agree maclaren is a bit over rated i would have prefered sam allardyce and just wondering why everyone says chelski?

mclaren has done more than allerdyce as a manager and thats a fact

Can you define that fact?

He's won one cup in 5 years in charge, in a final against Bolton by the way. In the league he has consistently produced mid table results except last year.

The premiership positions over the years since Big Sam got Bolton promoted and McClaren took over in 2001 are interesting:

2006 - Bolton - 8 - Boro - 14
2005 - Bolton - 6 - Boro - 7
2004 - Bolton - 8 - Boro - 11
2003 - Bolton - 17 - Boro - 11
2002 - Bolton - 16 - Boro - 12

Prior to this, Bolton were in the league below and pre McLaren Boro finished 9th, 12th then 14th

This despite spending many more millions on established premiership players like Viduka, JFH, Southgate, Danny Mills, Zenden, Juninho, Boateng & Yakubu etc. So in the league he's cosistantly kept you at around the same level you were before he took over (you finished 14th the year before he took over too) with your surrent season being his lowest finish. Sam on the other hand has taken misfits like Kev Davies and Diouf and loads of free transfers and now has the club firmly established in the top half of the table. He manages to motivate players to perform to their ability or above it and has over the last 3 years outperformed Boro and don't forget Boro had been established in the Premiership since 98/99, so are 3 years infront of Bolton.

Juninho (Boro's best player ever!) said this about McClaren
"McClaren is a good tactical coach but I don't think he deals well with the players.

"On the pitch he is good, but off it, with the players he needs to be more truthful."
So while Sam motivates players to perform, McClaren demotivates them by lying to them.

McClaren got the job because he is a yes man, he'll not argue with the bods at the FA, where as Sam would tell them how it is and they don't want that, he reminds me a bit of Cloughie and he'll probably never get the job for the same reason.

So after his worst league finish in 5 seasons and tens of millions spent putting his squad together to get there, he's the best man for the job? I think not, neither for that matter did Gareth Southgate (his current captain at Borough and his 1st signing at the club). In fact the only other English candidate that finished lower this year was Stuart Pearce in 15th in his 1st full year in the job.

Take one cup final out of it (otherwise we could have Bobbly Gould) and Mclaren has consistently been outperformed by Allardyce :p

The more I think about it, this is about the worst appointment the FA could have made, still his replacement probably in 2 years time should be an improvement.

Arfie

its fairly put but how many leagues do england actually play in qualifiers are practically cup matches on the internation stage.

mclaren has a fantastic cup record fair enough only 1 win but has done well.

You can't do well if you don't win anything.

I'm a fan or Arsenal but i know that reaching the finals of the CL this year meant little cause we didn't win it. Liverpool did, and that's a cause for them to be happy.

I always believe that the league table never lies. You can often rate a team based on their performances over a season in the table, rather than a knock-out competition.

Being honest, boro were pretty fortunate to go as far as they did in the UEFA cup. And their league position certainly reflects that. And mind you, the squad is good, so it reflects more on the manager than it does the team.

P.T.

mclaren has a fantastic cup record fair enough only 1 win but has done well.
No he doesn't keesh :no:

He's taken you to 2 finals, one you won, the league cup, when most big teams weren't taking it seriously, but a win none the less. And the fantastic Uefa cup run this season which had some brilliant results along the way, but when it really mattered in the final you were outclassed and McClaren was outwitted. 2 finals, 1 win 1 loss, hardly "fantastic" is it?

If he doesn't have the tactical nouse to change things around in big games when we are losing, we may as well have kept Sven, who did the same against Brazil last time.

Still he will be our manager and I'll still cheer the team on and I hope he proves me wrong, but the other major candidates (Curbs, Sam & O'Neill) all have more years experience as managers and have done more with less resources at their clubs.

Arfie

I hate to say it :unsure: who am I kidding, I love saying it :hyper:

I TOLD YOU SO :lol:

He has proved to have no nouse, we could so easily have ended up with a draw against a team from a country who's entire population wouldn't even fill Wembley stadium.

He's playing men who are in good form for their clubs and managing to get them to play well below their standards. Rooney hasn't scored in 16 games for England yet is doing it for ManU, Gerrard has been average (and I'm being kind out of loyalty) Fat Frank is the same, none of the wingers have shown anything, with the possible exception of Lennon. ABout the only player who has been consistant has been Hargreaves. Quite frankly the under 21's would be doing better and I was actually glad to see Nugent come on as a wake up call to the top stars. And following those displays I can't see any reason why Beckham shouldn't come back.

Arfie

Total agreement - he has no idea - why play 4 at the back when we are playing a gainst a single striker who isnt even professional. 3 center backs could have dealt with that - Carragher , Ferdinand and Terry could easily have played.
Ashley Cole was useless and because I think he so over-rated I counted his forward passes all game (with the help of my son) and we disagreed on the final count - I reckoned 3 and my son was adamant it was 4 - although he was falling asleep so may have got mistaken about the direction of the odd pass.

All in all they were a disgrace and your right about Nugent and the under 21's - I'm sorry but Mclaren has little or no idea about how to get the best out of what must be the most talented england team we've ever had.

As i said originally, bring in Allardyce. He would motivate the team, which in my opinion seems to be what they're lacking. Mcclaren may have a decent football brain, but he is useless at motivating the team, Allardyce is asi said originally, the man for the job!

Personally i'd say he's not good enough. I'm not sure he's even that good of a premiership manager. I think, as someone has previously mentioned, he's very similar to Keegan in that he's a damn good coach but his tactical prowess isn't all that great. In my opinion there isn't a single Englishman out there who is good enough for the job. The big 4, Liverpool(5 times), Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea all have foreign coaches and this isn't down to chance it's down to the fact they are much better tactically, especially in european football. In my opinion we had to take the hot and appoint another foreign coach, ideally Hiddink or Lippi. :good:

I'd take Jose, when he walks out on Chelski :shifty: It's the only way he'll get to work with Gerrard :big_boss: ;)

Tactically very astute, capable of squeezing the extra few %age out of players needed to turn them from good to world beating :nod: and quite obviously a great motivator, though he is no Rafa Benitez :p

Arfie

Most reactions

Back