Empire Gudgeon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishyyyy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, so I have a 120 L tank which I think is about 31 US gallons

I was wondering if Empire Gudgeons would be suitable. If so are they better alone or in groups as I don’t think I have the space for a group.

I have very hard water (350 ppm)
I currently have 3 male guppies, 3 male platies, 9 cherry barbs (seriously fish says they can go up to that hardness) and 6 peppered cories (didn’t know they where soft water fish at the time of purchasing but I’ve had corys for a while now and all seem fine)

Thank you

600l/h filter
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
20-40 nitrate (nitrate it tape is quite high so got some floating plants to help with that)

Empire gudgeons require a minimum of 40 gallons and they do better in groups of 5-6 but 3 is ok. Also, you already have fish in that tank taking up space... Plus, I'm very sure Empires are soft water fish.

If the tank is 3 foot or longer, it is fine for empire gudgeons.

When they are young they hang out in groups but as they mature, they spread out and have separate territories. Males have territories and females go wherever they want.

They are fine in hard water.

My concern is the barbs and male guppies who might get eaten by adult gudgeons.

If the tank is 3 foot or longer, it is fine for empire gudgeons.

When they are young they hang out in groups but as they mature, they spread out and have separate territories. Males have territories and females go wherever they want.

They are fine in hard water.

My concern is the barbs and male guppies who might get eaten by adult gudgeons.
Yah, I wasnt too sure about them being ok in hard water... 3ft is 36 inches long, being the length of a 40 gallon...

Okay thank you for the help guys, wasn’t 100% sure if they were suitable. Thank you for the feedback

Empire gudgeons require a minimum of 40 gallons and they do better in groups of 5-6 but 3 is ok. Also, you already have fish in that tank taking up space... Plus, I'm very sure Empires are soft water fish.
Don't know where you get your information but it contradicts what is written here:

Here is the seriously fish article which suggest it can handle both soft and moderately hard water; i suspect something in the middle is best but i have no personal experience with the fish:

One very interesting tidbit about this fish is that breeding require that the frys are grown in salt water - the description notes that the frys are washed out to the sea where they live for some undetermined period until they return to fresh-water - wonder if anyone breeds these in a captive environment.

Last edited:
Yah, I wasnt too sure about them being ok in hard water... 3ft is 36 inches long, being the length of a 40 gallon...
If you are unsure you are best not giving false information. I.e, if you know for sure speak up but if in doubt it is better to be quiet than to provide incorrect information to others.

Their young need seawater to survive so they do best in water with some mineral content

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back