EMERGENCY- tetra having a white patch on side???

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Navfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently got 6 tetras and when I checked on them tdy, i noticed that one of the big tetras had a white spot on his side. The white patch was mot fuzzy or anything but Iā€™m thinking that it may be neon tetra disease. The tetras r also in a 10 gallon with 6 other guppies. The water quality is normal and Iā€™m wondering what I should from here. Here is some pictures of him. Any advice on what to do??
-thanks

Attachments

• 5B36F173-7FDA-4E38-836D-4011AED6A58E.jpeg
    5B36F173-7FDA-4E38-836D-4011AED6A58E.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 3BCE801E-CA2B-497A-9EF4-8431A273D127.jpeg
    3BCE801E-CA2B-497A-9EF4-8431A273D127.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 73
Darn this thing, yeah, looks like that, or columnaris.

First thing is to separate that and any other tetra you might spot any discoloration on, asap. Ad for treatment, I personally dealt with this with massive water changes (at leat 50% daily for an entire week, no breaks) and by adding melafix to the water.

None of the ones who showed discoloration made it, sorry to say, so segregation is to save those not yet affected. Not knowing for sure if it's NTD or columnaris makes it hard to treat, because the water changes and "soft remedies" such as melafix or aquarium salt might work, but if you have a widespread infection then antibiotics would be the way to go to prevent a wipeout. Separate that guy ASAP, change the water, watch the rest of them and try the salt and/or melafix as a boost to help them fight it off

Darn this thing, yeah, looks like that, or columnaris.

First thing is to separate that and any other tetra you might spot any discoloration on, asap. Ad for treatment, I personally dealt with this with massive water changes (at leat 50% daily for an entire week, no breaks) and by adding melafix to the water.

None of the ones who showed discoloration made it, sorry to say, so segregation is to save those not yet affected. Not knowing for sure if it's NTD or columnaris makes it hard to treat, because the water changes and "soft remedies" such as melafix or aquarium salt might work, but if you have a widespread infection then antibiotics would be the way to go to prevent a wipeout. Separate that guy ASAP, change the water, watch the rest of them and try the salt and/or melafix as a boost to help them fight it off
Okay thanks! Iā€™m going to Separate him and do a water change ASAP. Will fritz Maracyn work for now?

I believe so, just be sure you remove any charcoal on your filter (if you have any) because it will absorb the meds and well, it's pointless if that happened.
If you have that it could help the affected one too treat him separately. I haven't had to use any real meds yet thank God, but just like with human meds, I'd recommend you follow the directions and finish the treatment as indicated there. Same goes for the water changes, if the package indicates to not do any, go with that as per the instructions but DO make one right away, then stop once you medicate, I believe it's 5 days or so, again, go with the package instructions. Good luck.

I believe so, just be sure you remove any charcoal on your filter (if you have any) because it will absorb the meds and well, it's pointless if that happened.
If you have that it could help the affected one too treat him separately. I haven't had to use any real meds yet thank God, but just like with human meds, I'd recommend you follow the directions and finish the treatment as indicated there. Same goes for the water changes, if the package indicates to not do any, go with that as per the instructions but DO make one right away, then stop once you medicate, I believe it's 5 days or so, again, go with the package instructions. Good luck.
Okay did everything you said! Thanks for the help! Iā€™m gonna hope everything will be fine

Okay did everything you said! Thanks for the help! Iā€™m gonna hope everything will be fine
hope it helps, and fwiw, I'd drop by the store you got these guys from and check to see how their fish look now. not to sound superficial, but if they have any livestock warranty and any of your fish end up not making it, I'd call them up on it. either the fish are arriving stressed and/or sick there, or their tanks are infected and it's going along to customer's tanks. again, good luck.

hope it helps, and fwiw, I'd drop by the store you got these guys from and check to see how their fish look now. not to sound superficial, but if they have any livestock warranty and any of your fish end up not making it, I'd call them up on it. either the fish are arriving stressed and/or sick there, or their tanks are infected and it's going along to customer's tanks. again, good luck.
Thanks for the advice. Iā€™m still pretty new at fish keeping and it has been a hard experience so far but thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

What are your water parameters, these things are usually stress related?. How heavily planted is your tank neon's like lots of plants to hide in

What are your water parameters, these things are usually stress related?. How heavily planted is your tank neon's like lots of plants to hide in
Hi, I personally think they have a lot of places to hide. I have all live plants except one big fake plant
Water parameters:
Ammonia- 0-.25 but closer to 0 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 30-40 ppm (a little on the high side probably because of my plant fertilizer)
Hereā€™s what my tank looks like

Attachments

• 4C2658B9-175A-4D46-94A7-607007484ABC.jpeg
    4C2658B9-175A-4D46-94A7-607007484ABC.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 52
Thanks for the advice. Iā€™m still pretty new at fish keeping and it has been a hard experience so far but thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.
my main tank is barely 4 months in. I've learned a ton and like all others here I'm glad to help if I can. when my tetras had this I had no idea of what it was, you already had found it could be NTD, and then you found the medication that's often indicated for it, so kudos to you for doing the homework. Keep us posted, it's good when a thread has an ending and one can learn from it.

my main tank is barely 4 months in. I've learned a ton and like all others here I'm glad to help if I can. when my tetras had this I had no idea of what it was, you already had found it could be NTD, and then you found the medication that's often indicated for it, so kudos to you for doing the homework. Keep us posted, it's good when a thread has an ending and one can learn from it.
thanks, will keep you guys updated.

I'd say it is the speciesspecific strain of Columnaris bacteria. I don't see ANY sign of NTD which is rare, lethal and untreatable.

Stressless environment and clean water seems to be the only thing that works.

I'd say it is the speciesspecific strain of Columnaris bacteria. I don't see ANY sign of NTD which is rare, lethal and untreatable.

Stressless environment and clean water seems to be the only thing that works.
Okay thanks for the info. Do you think I should still quarentine the sick fish or is it alright to put him back in and treat the whole tank?

I think I see signs of the issue on the other neon as well. If so I'd put it back.

Normally I'd say to seperate sick fish btw but think morr neons have the same thing.

Hi, I personally think they have a lot of places to hide. I have all live plants except one big fake plant
Water parameters:
Ammonia- 0-.25 but closer to 0 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 30-40 ppm (a little on the high side probably because of my plant fertilizer)
Hereā€™s what my tank looks like
The nitrate level is too high for these fish. They also need more protection from plants than you are currently giving them. These guys are just stressed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back