Embers question..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Glenn407

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I added 8 embers to my tank. In the last couple days one has isolated himself from the group and hangs alone. He/she looks perfectly fine, no signs of being nipped at and eats as hungrily as the others. I'm just curious why one fish would seem to prefer not being with the gang. Since I can't tell the diff between their sexes I suppose it could unlikely be the sole female of the posse but those odds are slim. I guess this loner question could apply to any schooling or shoaling fish.

A couple weeks ago I added 8 embers to my tank. In the last couple days one has isolated himself from the group and hangs alone. He/she looks perfectly fine, no signs of being nipped at and eats as hungrily as the others. I'm just curious why one fish would seem to prefer not being with the gang. Since I can't tell the diff between their sexes I suppose it could unlikely be the sole female of the posse but those odds are slim. I guess this loner question could apply to any schooling or shoaling fish.

It is more likely because they are now settling in to the new environment. While all shoaling species must be kept in decent-sized groups, in an aquarium many of them will not swim all that much together, unless stressed. Over the years I saw my group of 10-12 separate into two or three smaller units, some of them swam alone, whatever.

Thanks. Thinking about where this loner hangs it almost seems like he's in the spot all the rest would prefer. From what I gather they prefer being somewhat concealed in moving water and this spot has concealment and probably the most water movement in the tank. As long as it eats and looks good, I'm fine with it.

I'm in the same boat. I've had a school of 10 Tiger Barbs for about 2 months. In the beginning, they all hung out together but in the last week, one has taken to hiding out by itself up in a corner behind some dwarf lettuce roots. He comes out to eat and sometimes schools with the others but 90% of the time he is swimming in place. He looks and acts healthy and he is not the runt who gets picked on.

One of my Ember females does this. It's her spot and chases others out of it. She'll rejoin the shoal periodically and then return to her favorite spot. I have seen others do this but not with tenacity of this little tetra thug lol😉
I have 10 at the moment.

Sorry did not see this was an older thread. Hope all is well with your Embers though. 🙂

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back