Ember tetra missing fins

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Beastije

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Today, during feeding, I noticed one of my 50 ember tetras is missing both the tail and the anal and dorsal fins. It is swimming normally and feeding as well, which is why I didnt notice initially. I only have other ember tetras, hatchetfish, corydoras, otocinclus and bamboo shrimp, so I am suspecting it may not be fin nipping, but more likely a fin rot. That would make it a more serious issue though, so how do I determine?

The fins are not completely gone, about 50%, basically the protruding part with the black markings. Based on the body shape, the tetra is a male. I didnt notice any white edges of the fins, no fuzz or inflammation, but the fish is relatively small and fast moving
There is zero chance of me catching the fish and moving it to a quarantine, so I am going to do a 50% water change, which I had planned to do anyway today, and hope for the best.
In the past I know nipped fins grew back with good feeding, but I fed well, maybe too well, my female ember tetras are so fat they may burst and again, I timed the feeding wrong, so the corydoras got bug bites in the evening and frozen daphnia in the morning and they have their beer gut bellies. It went away after two days of not feeding last time, will do the same. The female embers are fat all the time. I know they are prone to obesity but I have yet to figure out how to properly feed the corydoras and the hatchetfish, who are very picky and slow eaters, and not overfeed the piranhas
Water params are same as always, did a NO2 and Ammonia test, zero. The water temp went a bit down, used to be 26°, is 24° now, because my gas supply in the house is turned off due to a leak (outside) and the tank heater cant warm up that many liters against my 17° inside..

Observation. Do not rush into a QT (more stress, possibly unneeded). A major water change would be normal advice in either case, but the temperature issue must be factored in. Can you heat some water on the stove perhaps to mix in?

I will, had to postpone the water change to today, I usually put in cold water from the tap very slowly to the tank, to equalize, but this time will also use some heated up water at 30 or 35° to mix in.
Still the heater is holding at 24 and that is good work, given it has to fight against 7 degree difference. Strong current helps with the mixing.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back