Ember Swamp Journal

Death by Fish Tanks

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Nov 5, 2024
Messages
182
Reaction score
236
Points
43
Location
North Carolina, US
Named after this flowerpot’s fiery red coloring, the Ember Swamp has quickly grown to be one of my favorite projects. While it's not a large mini pond, But a view of its murky depths from above makes it look like a small window into an endless expanse(At least, in person). Its purpose is a death pit for mosquitoes.

-Started 3/30/2024. I drained it and started over once since then.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20241121-213413~2.webp
    Screenshot_20241121-213413~2.webp
    287 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_20241121-213406~2.webp
    Screenshot_20241121-213406~2.webp
    197.7 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
What are your wintertime low temperatures around there?
On average, between 30 and 40° f. Though sometimes, we'll get super cold spikes in January down into the low twenties. But that is only for a few days altogether.

North Carolina is the furthest North of the subtropical states(I think). So we only get a few of what can be seen in Florida. Like Pygmy sunfish and least Killifish
 
Last edited:
Update 1: Nearly 4 months after refilling and moving the planter, and removing some of the hornwort, I discovered a few mosquitofish inside! I'm going to keep letting these guys do their thing.😁
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20241126_162717117_AE~2.webp
    IMG_20241126_162717117_AE~2.webp
    226.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20241126_162743512_AE~2.webp
    IMG_20241126_162743512_AE~2.webp
    155.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20241126_162750916_AE~2.webp
    IMG_20241126_162750916_AE~2.webp
    155.1 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20241127_065953872_AE.webp
    IMG_20241127_065953872_AE.webp
    355.1 KB · Views: 96

Most reactions

Back
Top