Elysia Crispata Questions.

cslug

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum and had some questions. Last Saturday I got two elysia crispata sea slugs and they were doing well until one died on Monday and then the other a couple of hours later, but in the sand I noticed what I think are three egg ribbons. I am wondering why they died and if those things in the sand are eggs? Thank you for any answers.

Have you got any pictures of them?
I have just read that some had 2 of these and breaded. The person got 300+ and sold a lot of them. They also said it was easy to do because they just left them in the sump. so it could be possible :good:

Edit: Did they get sucked into a power head? because thats the main cause of death of these animals.

Thanks for replying soo soon here are my tank stats. Salinity: 30 ppt, Gravity:1.022, Tank size: two liter ( quarintine tank), Substrate: sand, decore: live rock, filtration: none, other inhabitants ( fish, invertabrates, etc.): none. Also how do I take care of the eggs? Sorry they havent hatched yet so I can not take any pictures. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well type into google images Elysia Crispata eggs and see if they are eggs :good:
if they are then i found this, (this is not my work)
"I'm pretty sure that the eggs of Elysia crispata develop into free-swimming veliger larvae which spend some time in the plankton, feeding on unicellular plants, before settling down onto their food algae and becoming a crawling slug.

The major problem with keeping larvae in aquaria is that they either get filtered out of the water, get stuck in the surface film, or starve through lack of phytoplankton in the water. Without quite substantial effort, I think your chances of successfully breeding lots of little E. crispata are pretty slight.

Your chances would increase if this was a species which produced non-feeding larvae which only spend a few hours or days in the plankton, but I don't think it is."

I typed 'Elysia Crispata eggs' into google images but I still can not tell if they are eggs because mine are in the sand and I can not find any pictures that the eggs are on the sand.

ok then what are your tank nitrate level? best to keep it under 10 :good:

Most reactions

Back