Ellioti breeding tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

They look great! Really nice combo with the Ellioti too. Maaan wish I could get a big tank again :(

Not hanging about lol
20210819_184123.jpg
20210819_184119.jpg

That’s great congrats! How are they being with the swordtails?

That’s great congrats! How are they being with the swordtails?
Been great together so far and with them laying so quick the Ellioti must be comfortable with swords.

Just going to keep a close eye on things over the next few days now they are guarding the eggs. Cant see any problems really. They dont tend to be aggressive, just move the other fish on.

Thats great :) Really hoping this works out. You need to give us an update on the other tank too btw :) I'm living my cichlid experience through you at the moment lol.

Have you ever seen Lee Nutalls channel on YouTube? He uses botanicals and leaves like you have. In one he has a big palm frond and it looks great really makes you think of Central America and where the fish came from.

Thats great :) Really hoping this works out. You need to give us an update on the other tank too btw :) I'm living my cichlid experience through you at the moment lol.

Have you ever seen Lee Nutalls channel on YouTube? He uses botanicals and leaves like you have. In one he has a big palm frond and it looks great really makes you think of Central America and where the fish came from.
I havent no but that sounds pretty cool, so ill look up his channel.

Had a change around in the big tank once i took the Ellioti out but im not 100% taken with the new design. On the look out for some nice big pieces of driftwood i think and might take the dragon rock out.

Bocourti is now camp leader and tends to leave everyone alone other than her smaller sister.

I also got round to adding some more bottom dwellers to help stir the sand up a bit more. Was going to add a few more hoplo's but my lfs only had some albino's and they didnt look great so i went for a small group of Pictus cats instead :)

The fry feed off their yolk sac for 1-3 days depending on water temperature. They develop faster in warmer water and use up their yolk sac faster.

Start feeding them when you see them swimming around.

Tha
The fry feed off their yolk sac for 1-3 days depending on water temperature. They develop faster in warmer water and use up their yolk sac faster.

Start feeding them when you see them swimming around.
Thank you Colin,

How long would you say i could leave them with mom & dad before i have to move fry away. Couple of weeks??

This is their 3rd batch and both been great parents so far. Just not got to far past a week because they was in big tank before.

Try to leave the baby fish with the parents for at least a month. the young usually start to wander off at that stage and this is when you can separate them. If you move the babies too soon, they don't learn from their parents and suffer separation stress.

If they are in a community tank, put a partition in the tank so the other fishes can't get to the babies.

Oh a month, thats good to hear, longer the better for me.

Just got some swordtails in with them atm. I could move them over to another tank or try a partition if necessary.

Feeding fry:

Cant get my hands on baby brine shrimp

I have all manner of flake, pellets and waffers along with frozen live
Cyclops, Mysis shrimp, Brineshrimp, White mosquito larve and daphina.

I also have nt labs mirco crumb and liquifry

Whats best to use of the above? So far ive tried cyclops crushed flake and the mirco crumb

Can you get brineshrimp eggs and hatch them yourself?

use crumbled up dry food and get a microworm culture.

Can you get brineshrimp eggs and hatch them yourself?

use crumbled up dry food and get a microworm
Ive seen brineshrimp eggs online which come in sachets. Are they easy to hatch yourself?

Ill try crushed up dry food again and im going to pop to another fish store tomorrow to see if i can get some b.brineshrimp.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back