Electricity

lilacamy931

Starting again
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
3,475
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Bournemouth, UK
Do running fish tanks really affect your electricity bills? I will have 6 tanks running by the end of September and not looking forward to our first quarterly and the difference it may show.

What are your views, opinions and experiences?

Thanks!
 
Depends, if u have 6 filter's and loads of equipment yes it will, if u share, ie 1 air pump running all six then you will save some, thats why i run spone filter in all tanks powered by one pump
 
In short, yes, I was surprised by how much my bills went up after running 4 tanks at once, but that said it does add up. Each tank has a heater of between 50-200W running more or less all the time, the filter running all the time, plus the lighting and other bits and pieces, air pumps etc. That said energy prices have gone up over the same period so perhaps that's distorted the bills. Either way there is a fair cost to consider.
 
There is a thread on here with a link in it that refers to a calculator that you can use to work out roughlt how much each tank costs to run.

After a quick look I couldnt find the thread but Im sure someone will be able to post a link to it

Andy

Edit: found it - Electrical costs
 
There is a thread on here with a link in it that refers to a calculator that you can use to work out roughlt how much each tank costs to run.

After a quick look I couldnt find the thread but Im sure someone will be able to post a link to it

Andy

Edit: found it - Electrical costs

thanks for that, im gonna check it out =]
 
Well there will be 6 filters (3 small, 2 medium, 1 large). There will be 6 heaters.. There will be only 2 maybe 3 tanks with lighting. hmmm.... hoping not got into the hobby too quickly.

Will have to find out what everything runs on wattage wise (the heaters I know, need to work the filters out) and see.


Thanks for all the replies and that link!
 
well a quick summary with some figures thrown in as not sure what the big tank will be:

Total Watts used: 281 watts
Watts per annum: 38690 hours per year
Kilowatt hours used: 38.69 kw/hrs
Lighting: £20.08 per year (200.75 kw/hrs)
Pumps: £0 per year (0 kw/hrs)
Filtration: £22.78 per year (227.76 kw/hrs)
Heating: £175.2 per year (1752 kw/hrs)
Other appliances: £0 per year (0 kw/hrs)
TOTAL: £218.06

Does this sound about right?
 
I know my planted 55gal with 110 Watts of light on it costs about $100 a year to run.

I've also unplugged one of my tanks heaters, a 15gal that has 50+ endlers in it runs about 40 watts total. (30 for lighting, and I'm guessing 10 for filter). Costs $24 a year to run.


I'm still living at home so parents pay electricity. I doubt they even know how much electricity my tanks take up. They have a hot tub outside though and that thing gobbles like $100 a month in the winter :S.

I know those that run fish rooms usually find that heating the room just a little hotter is way cheaper than running a dozen heater all year.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top