Electricity Bill Huge

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

i believe you can't swap suppliers until any outstanding bills are paid

i pay £170 a month for gas and elec

My little electric meter connected to the main meter (British Gas freebie) tells me that I'm using about £3 a day which would be £90ish per month and £1080 per year. That's just electricity NOT gas as well and my wife notices the cold!!! The central heating is never fully turned off. No wonder I'm still working past retirement!

We pay around £40 per WEEK during the spring-summer and up to £55 in the cold winter.
That's with just electric, none of this electric and gas combined thing. I've asked them to come out and check numerous times but when they do they look at the tumble dryer and say "that's your problem". It makes my blood boil as we don't have it on in the summer.
Add heating to the house with coal and oil tank heating we're talking upwards of £80 a week to heat and light the place.
That's 7 tanks and one viv. I'm sure its the kids who leave stuff on though as there is always (in the evening) a minimum of 3 TV's on the go and that's along with 3 sky boxes or XBOX/DVD/Bluray/PS3/Wii plus 6 mobile phones charging every dayand other game consoles being charged as and when.
I'm not thinking of downsizing tanks, maybe downsizing kids would be a better idea. Anyone want one or two, or three or four?

If we say as an example that you have tanks twice the size of mine (mine is 130l). That means £200 per tank per year. I'll assume the Viv. takes the same for now. That's £1600 per year, £31 per week.

I think you need to look into getting some solar (Photo-voltaic) panels.

It's never £31 per week in a million years just for the tanks. My £1080 per year includes a whole range of electricity guzzling things! The filters are 31watts, heaters 300watts but not on much of the time, lights 100watts for a few hours. It's not a lot of electricity!

I don't have micko's specs. neither do you so, it was a guesstimate based on as said twice the size tanks as I have and my calculation is assuming 1/3rd operation of the heater and lights. Obviously, I have over specced but the point made is it would be worthwhile someone with this much power being drained over 24hrs contemplating subsidising their power requirements.

The only way to know for sure how much you are drawing on your tanks is to measure your tanks consumption over 24hrs and then calculating the cost. This is still going to differ from day to day depending upon the ambient temperature.

My calculation for my tank is in line with others on here both calculated and measured using the little electric meter gizmo's.

Most reactions

Back