Electric Blue And Yellow Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HI all, i am considering trying cichlids for the first time. i have a 55 gal tank to work with and will provide a lot of rock. I have been looking thru the profiles and find the Electric Blue Johannii (Blue Mbuna) and the Electric Yellow (Yellow Lab, Lemon Yellow) stunning.
Do i have enoough room for some of each, or do i have to choose only 1 species? If i do have enough room for both, how many do you guys recomend?
Thanks for any advice.
The problem is where i'm at there aren't any good fish stores around. i'm scared if i try to get too many species i'll get ones that are mislabeled in the store. I am interested in color. can you suggest 1 or 2 of the more readily available species that will go good with them?
I know, I have the same problem....... I'm stuck with 5 electric yellow, and now I dont know what else to get..... Guys at the pet store keep telling me to get Frontosas and Johani's even though I know they dont mix well. I guess they dont give a crap, and it's not just 1 pet store it's pretty much all of them that I have looked in.

HI all, i am considering trying cichlids for the first time. i have a 55 gal tank to work with and will provide a lot of rock. I have been looking thru the profiles and find the Electric Blue Johannii (Blue Mbuna) and the Electric Yellow (Yellow Lab, Lemon Yellow) stunning.
Do i have enoough room for some of each, or do i have to choose only 1 species? If i do have enough room for both, how many do you guys recomend?
Thanks for any advice.
The problem is where i'm at there aren't any good fish stores around. i'm scared if i try to get too many species i'll get ones that are mislabeled in the store. I am interested in color. can you suggest 1 or 2 of the more readily available species that will go good with them?
I know, I have the same problem....... I'm stuck with 5 electric yellow, and now I dont know what else to get..... Guys at the pet store keep telling me to get Frontosas and Johani's even though I know they dont mix well. I guess they dont give a crap, and it's not just 1 pet store it's pretty much all of them that I have looked in.
i know what you mean, it's like they have no idea what they are talking about. i am considering buying online, but the whole idea of ordering a living thing on the net is kinda wierd to me.

my tank is 55 gal, i have a whisper 30-60 model hong on back filter.do i need to add another filter, if so what size? (perferably whisper so i can buy same refills)

my tank is 55 gal, i have a whisper 30-60 model hong on back filter.do i need to add another filter, if so what size? (perferably whisper so i can buy same refills)

Hey d-fan
I tried looking up the LPH or GPH for your whisper 30-60 but I couldn't find any info, It just says its suitable for a 30-60 tank. From what I have read, you are looking turn over your tank seven times every hour.

I.e if you have a 100 liter tank you would want a filter that would have a LPH of 700. This is just a ball park figure but it seems to be the recommendation. For my 180 liter setup I run an external filter of 700lph and an internal with a lph of 600. Thus 700+600= 1300 lph
1300/180 = 7.2 tank turn overs per hour

Even with this amount of filtration I still think that I could do with removing the internal and replacing it with another external. But it will have to do for the moment. From my experience with mbuna so far, I have found them to be messy poop machines so the more filtration the better.

this article says it's 330 gph. So if i go with 2 it will be 660 gph for my 55 gal. If i did my math right that would be 12 times. i have no problem spending a little more for that to get better filtration. thanks for the advice.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/whisperpower2.html

THE more biological filtration the better and you'd get that with a AQUA CLEAR hob. found cheaply at www.bigalsonline.com

the whisper just doesnt cut it for bioloads like a big sponge would.PLUS theres no cartridges to buy EVER!!! just squeeze out the sponge good and toss it back in.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/catego...id2=;breadcrumb=
do you suggest running the AQUA CLEAR with the whisper? Which model do you recomend for my 55? Should i go with the A-620 AquaClear 110 (formerly 500) Power Filter?

detroit, the 70 or the 110 would be fine. the 110 I'd suggest if you plan on getting a larger tank anytime in the future, you'd have a ready made filter for it then, but also the 70 would be great for space in the 55. you pick, it's your $ and tank ;)

fish dude, did you not read the post up above? theres atleast one link for you B) or try a search...

detroit, the 70 or the 110 would be fine. the 110 I'd suggest if you plan on getting a larger tank anytime in the future, you'd have a ready made filter for it then, but also the 70 would be great for space in the 55. you pick, it's your $ and tank ;)

fish dude, did you not read the post up above? theres atleast one link for you B) or try a search...

Dont mean to but into this thread but if you were to go for 12x the filteration and it will cast you quite a but why not go for an elite Eheim filter instead?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back