ELECTRIC BLUE ACARAS

Moonland

Reaction score
Hello I have 6 electric blue acaras and I'm wondering what is up with one of them they all came the same size when purchased 7 weeks ago around 1" it's been 7 weeks and 1 of them has grown to 2" and the other 4 about 1" and half but the last one is so tiny and hasn't grown at all I do know acaras grow fast so was shocked there in a 250ltr tank with fuval canister filters 2 of them and the temperature is as should be I check my water quality all perfect and I do water changes every week and feed the fuval bug bites blood worms and all the other good stuff I also make my own blend of food for them

I'm not sure if the fish is stunned or in a way we're he won't grow and will stay small they have sand and wood with plants in the aquarium
Please help I can't decide if he will stay small or it's just going to take time
Thank you !!

anewbie

Fishaholic
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
Could be a lot of things; sex of the fish; stunted; weaker fish getting less food; .... pictures might help but might not. Btw in a group it is not uncommon to have a runt or two occassionally. I remember when buying angels every now and then one would turn out to be a runt. It happens.

(runt is not the same as stunted); my guess from your description is that it is a runt and will likely not live a long fruitful life. I recently purchased four acara; 3 of them grew to full size (ok maybe 8 months ago); but the fourth turned into a runt and eventually die a week ago. The angel i mentioned above of about 16 one was a runt and it died 2 years later. Was kind of sad; I put him in a 29 so the other angels would leave him alone and he did well for 18 months but then passed.

OP
OP
M

Moonland

Reaction score
Could be a lot of things; sex of the fish; stunted; weaker fish getting less food; .... pictures might help but might not. Btw in a group it is not uncommon to have a runt or two occassionally. I remember when buying angels every now and then one would turn out to be a runt. It happens.

(runt is not the same as stunted); my guess from your description is that it is a runt and will likely not live a long fruitful life. I recently purchased four acara; 3 of them grew to full size (ok maybe 8 months ago); but the fourth turned into a runt and eventually die a week ago. The angel i mentioned above of about 16 one was a runt and it died 2 years later. Was kind of sad; I put him in a 29 so the other angels would leave him alone and he did well for 18 months but then passed.
Yes I'm pretty sure what you said Is right most likely a runt thank you for helping me out really helped out

Most reactions