Eheim pickup 160 is WAY too much for 58L/16 G

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AilyNC

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Oh wow. My filter broke in the 58L tank i have. I decided to buy Eheim pickup 160 as it's from 60L up. I thought the pickup 60 was possibly too small as it's max 60L.

Well I just blew the heads of my enders! :rofl: :eek: even turning it down it was just a whirlpool machine.

I had to swap it with one my Eheim Aquaball 130s in my bigger tank. Really nervous about bacteria now in the bigger tank. Probably need to move some of the sponges to the new filter :/

Heh, I did this too with one for my one of my tanks years ago, got a free Tetra Tec ex1200 filter and put that in, I think was, a 130 litre tank, filter said suitable for 200-500 litre tank so thought it’s a tad big but should be fine, basically turned the tank into a washing machine :lol:

So had to swap that filter with another tank, Trigon 350, perfect for that tank and put on a smaller HOB that I had in spares cupboard, on the 130 litre tank, phew, but a lot of running around sorting out filter medias and hoses and plugs etc

Bit of a hassle to do at the time but worth it in the end!

Definitely such a thing as too much filtration:lol:

You may have a small mini cycle but as long as there is established media in both tank filters, should be ok, bb will quickly build up a colony to deal with bio loads of each respective tank, can take anything from one day to a week max usually, depends on tank sizes and livestock stocking levels etc.

Heh, I did this too with one for my one of my tanks years ago, got a free Tetra Tec ex1200 filter and put that in, I think was, a 130 litre tank, filter said suitable for 200-500 litre tank so thought it’s a tad big but should be fine, basically turned the tank into a washing machine :lol:

So had to swap that filter with another tank, Trigon 350, perfect for that tank and put on a smaller HOB that I had in spares cupboard, on the 130 litre tank, phew, but a lot of running around sorting out filter medias and hoses and plugs etc

Bit of a hassle to do at the time but worth it in the end!

Definitely such a thing as too much filtration:lol:

You may have a small mini cycle but as long as there is established media in both tank filters, should be ok, bb will quickly build up a colony to deal with bio loads of each respective tank, can take anything from one day to a week max usually, depends on tank sizes and livestock stocking levels etc.

Oh it was a right panic :rofl: but there's nice agitation now of the surface & better flow than the filter that broke. The Aquaball can be turned very low. Endlers are having a great time now - they like the currents.

The pickup looks really good in the big tank as it's darker so blends in better. The big tank still has an Aquaball so hopefully enough BB. I'll keep an eye on water levels though.

I did a water change in the small tank as I'm expecting new fish delivery soon.

received_817143979096455.jpeg
received_825589004963950.jpeg

Most reactions

Back